Questions and suggestions??

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@muddy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

OK well i have just jumped off into the world of open G
first just wondering what ya'll think of fingering patterns to use amidst the slide barring..
i suppose the 7th's are a good place to start. i printed out some scales in open G from chordhouse i will work with soon but wanted to know a few lil sweet spots for fills
and any suggestions for the sliding.. hold some 5ths and slide around etc...
i have noticed that the notes are a lil more spread out to find my beloved patterns so looking for tricks

also just purchsed some slides from musserrings.com
they are fit by ring sizes to your fingers and come in all lenghts from under quarter of a inch to 3 inches
they have them in steel brass and glassbrass..
anyone use them .. whatta ya think mine have not come yet so just fishing...

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

James Musser was kind enough to send me a bag of his slide rings to try out. He's come up with a very cool concept, but they didn't quite fit my style of playing (mostly lap steel, I don't play much regular slide anymore). I can imagine them working best for electric stuff, you can do some pretty cool stuff there. Don't know if they have enough weight to get a good tone on acoustic, but I'm sure the 'right' player make them work well for acoustic also.

They're a lot of fun, guess I'm just too oldfashioned and set in my ways to get the best out of them... 8)

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've been playing around with open G a lot lately, got a bad hand injury that's making normal chords hard to play.....

What I have found out, by experimentation, is that if you try adding chord fingerings to the D G and B strings, which don't change from standard tuning, you can get some nice chords - for instance, play an Am7 chord over the open G chord, you've got a Gsus4/6 - a favourite of Keith Richards, eg Street Fighting Man. (There's an open G tab for that in the ESD - Teleplayer posted part of 40 licks, it's in there somewhere....)

But it's all about messing about and finding a groove - Rocky Moumtain Way is in open E, but it's easy to play in open G as well...George Thorogood's "Get A Haircut And Get A Real Job" is in open G, and uses the Gsus4/6 chord....in fact the chords used are G and Gsus4/6. C and Csus4/6 and D and Dsus4/6.

You can also try messing around with descending bass-lines, ie

D--0--0--0--0--0
B--0--0--0--0--0
G--0--0--0--0--0
D--5--3--2--0--0
G--7--5--4--2--0
D--0--0--0--0--0

Open G's a LOT of fun - certanly my favourite open tuning.....other good songs to try are Vigilante Man (Ry Cooder) Little Red Rooster (Stones) Bad To The Bone (George Thorogood) No Expectations (Stones agai!) In My Time Of Dying (Led Zep) Morning Dew .....aw hell Muddy, just put that slide on and EXPERIMENT!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@muddy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks vic thats what i usually do.. but always nice to get a few tricks in the bag so when the experimenting is goin wrong i can hit a few good ones..lol
thanks for the replies

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

ReplyQuote