Clear all

Retuning from C6 to GBDGBD

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@warder348)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I want to retune my Allen Melbert 6 string lap steel to the same tuning as my resonator. Do I need to change string gauges and if so what would you suggest? Still new to all this so appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!!!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got two of those Allen Melberts, a six string and an eight string. They're nice instruments at a very reasonable price.

What gauges do you have on it now?

BTW, the builder (I think his name's Bob Allen, "Allen Melbert" is a hodgepodge of parts of his first, middle and last names) is very responsive if you E-mail him. Nice guy! Link's on the "Music On The Mountain" website.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@warder348)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I don't exactly know what gauges are on it now, they're the ones that came on it tuned to C6, I have 10 sets of Martin resonator strings, thats what I'm using on my Morgan Monroe and would like to use them on the lap steel if possible. Martin 980's Gauges 16-18-26-36-46-56. Thanks for the help.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Martin resonator strings will work great. They're intended for a squareneck reso in GBDGBD. The lap steel's stronger than a squareneck and of a shorter scale length. I've got those strings on one, tuned to Open E.

I never have been able to play anything interesting solo in GBDGBD. It doesn't lend itself as readily to a rhythm accompaniment as DGDGBD. Lots of standard blues licks just don't work right.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

GBDGBD on a lap steel is great fun. lap steels can take all sorts of gauges, so don't worry about hurting the lap steel.
however, if the tuning has the strings too slack feeling....then re gauge.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I use D'Addario 013-056, replacing the first string with a 015, for GBDGBD on my 25" Asher Jr, works great for me. Also good for E-major, so I can go back and forth between those two tunings with the same set.

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote