Clear all

Roundneck for bluegrass?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just got a Johnson tricone roundneck, and am very pleased with it, considering the price, it seems to be a nice instrument. I've been considering to buy some kind of a resonator a long time, and settled with a tricone roundneck for many reasons, a roundneck is versatile, in that it can be played both fretted and with a slide, and also lap style with an extension nut. This brings me to my question, will my roundneck tricone stand to be tuned to "dobro" tuning (high G; GBDGBD), and what string gauge can be used?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It has a very strong neck, and it probably would take tuning up to that. Whether it would hold up to it for a life of playing, I don't know. The makers probably wouldn't recommend it. I had mine for a long time strung with .017-.070" strings for playing in Open D and Open G (in the vicinity of 210 lbs total string tension), and a bozo tuned it up to standard tuning after I'd expressly told him not to attempt it (and that standard tuned down a full step would be OK.) Nothing broke. Nowadys, though, I keep it strung with .021-.054" nickel electric strings. It sounds better with those than anything else I've tried. Very heavy strings overload the cones and are not tonally beneficial.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your reply, just the input I needed, I also got the impression that the neck is very strong with it's chunky rounded v-profile.
I keep it strung with .021-.054" nickel electric strings. It sounds better with those than anything else I've tried.

If this is correct, I bet you buy single strings, but .021" as first string sounds extreme?!!!???

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Typo. Standard .012-.054" electric set.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Had Bottleneck John on visit, he played a concert here and stayed at my place, we compared my Johnson to his Amistar tricone (with National cones), and concluded that it's got a nicer neck than the Amistar, and perhaps also more of a vintage sound, thoug the Amistar sounds a little fatter. I got a set of 15-58 nickel wound strings which he uses, and I think it feels and sounds better with those heavier strings, than with the 12-54 PB strings I'd put on it.

ReplyQuote