Clear all

Sheryl Crow's "Home"

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am pretty new to slide, and there is a song, "Home" by Sheryl Crow that has a slide in it. I saw it on YouTube, so I know it is slide guitar. I am trying to figure out what he is doing - The song is in the key of G, but I don't know if I need to do open tuning to G on the top three strings (tune the high E down to D), or just play in standard tuning. I looked for tabs on this but can't find any. How do you know if you have to tune to open tuning or not on a song?

MoGal

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

could you post the link. a visual or audio aid could help 'tell'.

was the slide part on guitar? electric? acoustic? or was it on dobro?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Here is a link to a You Tube video - the slide is guitar and a shot comes in after the first verse. There are lots of shots of this guy, especially near the end when he really goes off on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILL4uE1D4eM

I have tried to listen to the CD and figure it out, but it is so difficult and time-consuming. If someone can give me a clue - scale to use if in standard tuning, or if it is open, what the open strings are - some tab guidelines for the slide part. It is an awesome song! The main chord progression is G, Dm, Bb, C for the verse and chorus, and on the bridge - Bb, C, F, G, C Bb, Dsus4.

Thanks for any help!

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

MoGal, I'm hampered by the very slow ancient iMac I'm using (which has trouble running the video), but believe he's probably playing in Open G. From low to high, that's DGDGBD. Note the similarity of that to standard tuning, three of the strings being identical. It's really not too big a change to make, the other strings are tuned down one whole step from where they are in standard, so notes on those strings are moved two frets up toward the bridge from where you're used to finding them in standard. It lends itself nicely to those sweet "Hawaiian" sounding double string slides I'm hearing a good bit of. I don't have time to try to figure it out or try to do any tabbing, alas, I'm really bogged down here. That's a pretty song!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

The song is in G...however watching the guitarist and where he is getting those tones on the fretboard , tells me he is tuned to open "E". He is good and its a nice song , however the slide parts not so easy. :wink:

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

He starts some licks on the 15th fret....then to the 13th fret, down to the 6th and back to the 8th fret.
Open E is EBEG#BE I dont have tab...just goin by ear. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

Here is a link to a You Tube video - the slide is guitar and a shot comes in after the first verse. There are lots of shots of this guy, especially near the end when he really goes off on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILL4uE1D4eM

I have tried to listen to the CD and figure it out, but it is so difficult and time-consuming. If someone can give me a clue - scale to use if in standard tuning, or if it is open, what the open strings are - some tab guidelines for the slide part. It is an awesome song! The main chord progression is G, Dm, Bb, C for the verse and chorus, and on the bridge - Bb, C, F, G, C Bb, Dsus4.

Thanks for any help!
This will get you in the ballpark. Tune to open E (EBEG#BE)

The main progression chords bar with slide:
3rd fret G
10th fret Dm (bar all six strings w/slide fret behind slide 9th fret 3rd string) That makes it minor.
6th fret Bb
8th fret C

the bridge is:
6th fret Bb
8th fret C
13th fret F
15th fret G
8th fret C
6th fret Bb
10th fret D
Thats it....

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the help! I will try out what you say - doing it in Open E.

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm going to have to upgrade to something that'll play more than a frame now and then of these videos. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

I am pretty new to slide, and there is a song, "Home" by Sheryl Crow that has a slide in it. I saw it on YouTube, so I know it is slide guitar. I am trying to figure out what he is doing - The song is in the key of G, but I don't know if I need to do open tuning to G on the top three strings (tune the high E down to D), or just play in standard tuning. I looked for tabs on this but can't find any. How do you know if you have to tune to open tuning or not on a song?

That is a very beautiful song. I saw your post when it first came up, watched the video, wrote a reply and never finished it.

If you are just playing by yourself I would suggest playing it in open G tuning. That should work very well so you can play the song fluently while integrating some slide work into the song. You don't have to play it exacly like the guitarist in the video to sound good and probably if that guy was playing by himself (one guitar) he would be in an open G tuning. If he is in an open E tuning as Slick Cat figured out, it may be due to some other songs in the set they are playing, where an open G tuning wouldn't work. You can get approximately the same slide patterns in open G too, plus alot of other stuff that may be more appropriate for a single guitar. You can just do your own version. It's a beautiful song so no matter how you play it, it's going to be very nice.

phangeaux

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

I'm going to have to upgrade to something that'll play more than a frame now and then of these videos. :lol:
Hey Ricochet, Howdy!

I am assuming that you have a similar problem as mine: I have a very slow dial-up connection and connect at either 48Kbs or 49.2Kbs at fastest (least slowest). YouTube videos are some of the slowest to download but many times they are worth it.

Regarding your problem, this is how I would advise you to do it: As soon as the video actually starts loading, hit the PAUSE button (the one with two vertical lines). The video will continue to load in the background, just leave it alone until it is finished, then click on the 'Play' button and you'll see the whole video without any breaks. Also you can wait until it is partially loaded, like half way for example and then hit 'Play' to preview what has already been downloaded. If you think the vid is not worth waiting for you can cancel the download.

It will take awhile to load depending upon the file size, maybe 20 minutes, whatever. The download will use up almost all of your bandwidth so anything else you do will be really slow, like opening up a new web page or sending an email and sometimes that may not even work so you'll have to retry but usually you can do a little bit.

I am assuming that you are using a tabbed browse and can have a number of pages open at the same time (which is good- everyone should be using a tabbed browser).

Here is another great trick. I figured that if I am going to take the time to load these videos then I want tobe able to save them to my computer. I found a couple of free prgrams that allow me to save Youtube .flv videos to my computer and a free player that plays them, but better still I found free software to convert those .flv videos to other video formats so I can watch them in thedifferent video players that I have.

Since you are using a Macintosh I would suggest that you go to a MAC forum and post some questions as to how you can save YouTube videos on your computer and play them. There are some great videos out there, film footage of some of the old time great blues artists for example so you are missing out on these. If you can save them to your computer that is even better.

For PCs just search around for free software to do these things. I usually start at ZDNet.com (downloads-FREE license)

Later,

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, but I'm just using an ancient iMac at home that doesn't have the processor power to play the larger format videos they're now using on YouTube. I don't need to post a question on a forum. I just need a newer Mac.

I get the hand-me-downs when I get my family members something new.

As a matter of fact, right now I've got a brand new Mac Pro 4-core out in the car that Apple sent as a replacement for my son's 4 year old G5 when the power supply blew. Cost the same as a replacement part, which was out of stock. I'm taking it back to the service center since they didn't send it with the AirPort card installed. I've got the card out of the G5, but the new installation looks beyond my abilities.

ReplyQuote