Clear all

Slide Guitar Tips

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just bought a slide the other day and I was wondering if you guys have any tips on playing with it. Thanks

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Might want to read some of the posts in the Slide and Alternate Tuning section

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

sheesh your right that is a section hahaha

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Weeeellll.... I found this in "Slide and Alternative Tunings," and that's where I'm writing a response.

- If you're a beginner, start with single notes, played slowly and with careful attention to tone. If your tone sounds tweezy (and especially if the slide is rattling around in the frets), you may need heavier strings and higher action. (I use .012s on everything -- acoustics and electrics -- and my action allows me to slide AND fret on each one.)
- Wear the slide away from the guitar for a while. Get your hand accustomed to carrying the thing. Walk around with it on. Then try some single notes again, then double-stops.
- At least try some open tunings. DGDGBD and DADF#AD are the place to start. If they don't move you, fine, but check them out.
- When you're fairly comfortable with the slide, take a few days and play everything you know with it. Everything. See what it can bring to what you already know.

Have fun with it!

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@ducret)

This guy is pretty good at courses and lessons
got his chicken skin slide cd rom
and it's full of grt tips especially if you're
a fan of Ry Cooder
http://www.rickpayne.co.uk/

ReplyQuote