Notifications
Clear all

Slide in Drop D

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sharp21)
Topic starter  

Im wanting to try a lil slide, but my standard tuning theory is starting to come along so I dont want to venture too far away...
Is drop D a good place to begin then?
S.

(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

If you are familiar with standard, you could try playing in standard. Im pretty sure some of the greats like Duane Allman and Billy Gibbons play in standard. I've been told if you can learn to play slide in standard tuning it will be beneficial to you.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Im wanting to try a lil slide, but my standard tuning theory is starting to come along so I dont want to venture too far away...
Is drop D a good place to begin then?
S.
Our own Kirk Lorange ("PlaneTalk" here in the forum) has an instructional DVD for slide in standard and drop-D tunings:
http://www.bottleneckguitar.com/

Nick reviewed the DVD here: https://www.guitarnoise.com/review/kirk-lorange/

He also has a few slide lessons on his forum (you have to register to see them): http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Drop D is a good place to learn at because it's only a half step away from standard.

No, Drop D is the same as standard, except the low E string, which is a whole step down (E B G D A D). If you tune every string down a half step, it's still standard, you just specify Eb Standard. A whole step down is D Standard.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@sharp21)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the links, Im going to check them out more closely.
Kirk Lorange seems to be mentioned quite a bit here, I was looking for something on the CAGED system & he keeps popping up...
S.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Not "planettalk," "Planetalk."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I use standard tuning for slide quite often - mainly when I'm playing rhythm and want to switch to slide for a solo.

Some of the plusses are:

The D G and B strings are the same as in open G tuning, you can play a lot around those three strings. They make a major triad. The G B and E strings, on the other hand, make a minor triad. D G B and E strings are a minor 7th or a 6th, and the A D and G strings a sus4th.

These are just snippets I've picked up.....but they are, I think, the basis of Kirk's (I've heard and read a lot about Kirk, all of it good....) liking for playing standard in slide and drop D. Obviously, he's going to go into it in far more detail than that....so thinking along those lines, I'm guessing the reason for playing in drop D would be the added advantage of having a powerchord on the bottom two strings.

It's a lot of fun messing around with a slide in standard tuning, and of course you don't have to keep stopping to tune and re-tune!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote