Clear all

Slide in EADGBE

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Smokindog posted a backing track in the "Collabs and Jams" forum, I played slide in standard tuning - I'd be interested to know what the real musicians (as opposed to me, who's just trying.....) think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=674047

The track's called "Mother Carey's Chickens"........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh, I like that, Vic! Smooth and sweet! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oh, I like that, Vic! Smooth and sweet! :D

Thanks Ric! That means a lot to me!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yes you were the only guy (I think) that decided to slide the whole thing. Great tone and playing. I almost always so slide in standard tuning, and then I was thinking, 'well, standard tuning just happens to be my first tuning: they're all tunings.' I mean you strum it open and it's Emin something or other and...why not?

Weird thought - when you injured your hand you did slide first-thing, if I remember correctly. That extra work really paid off man. :)

Circumstance aside I mean ;)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

righteous !
really superb playing.
the reverb/echo and tone is to die for.
a peter green david gilmore vibe going.
8) 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Weird thought - when you injured your hand you did slide first-thing, if I remember correctly. That extra work really paid off man.

Circumstance aside I mean

Yeah, it is funny - I was so desperate to get anything out of the guitar I played a lot of slide back then. And I learned to play in standard because my left hand was so useless I could'nt be bothered fighting with the tuning pegs! You've got the major triad on strings 2 3 &4 - and a minor chord on strings 1, 2 and 3. Sus4ths, 6ths and add9ths are easy to find, and there's a nice double stop on strings 1 &2 three frets up from the major triad. All experimentation really - that, and getting to know the fretboard.

And of course if you're a lazy so-and-so like me, there's the added advantage of never having to retune.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I've said it once, and I'll say it again... awesome Vic! 8) If you ever put together a slide lesson for GN, I'll be the 1st in line! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Pretty nifty Vic.

Smooth

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If anybody's looking for ready-made lessons on sliding in standard, look up Kirk Lorange. His favorite tuning for years has been Drop D, but he does standard too and has a set of instructional videos he sells. I don't have the links handy, but Google will turn them up in short order. He plays amazing stuff. He used to show up on here and on my other favorite haunt, Big Road Blues, pretty regularly, but he has his own forum now that keeps him busy. (I belong to it, too, but haven't been over there for long enough that I can't remember the name and URL at the moment.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

If anybody's looking for ready-made lessons on sliding in standard, look up Kirk Lorange. His favorite tuning for years has been Drop D, but he does standard too and has a set of instructional videos he sells. I don't have the links handy, but Google will turn them up in short order. He plays amazing stuff. He used to show up on here and on my other favorite haunt, Big Road Blues, pretty regularly, but he has his own forum now that keeps him busy. (I belong to it, too, but haven't been over there for long enough that I can't remember the name and URL at the moment.)

It's called "Guitar For Beginners And Beyond"...... http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/ - not a bad site at all. I've noticed a few people from here over there as well.

One of these days, I may just invest in Kirk's DVD on how to play slide in Standard and drop-D tuning. Seems the key to it all is treating the fretboard as one giant chord, but I haven't gone into it much.

I'm one of those people, though, who likes to work things out for himself - I tend to think of wherever I am on the fretboard in terms of a G chord. Think of G chord like this....
EADGBE
320003 - G
320033 - G (alternate)

The D G and B strings in the first voicing are the triad that make up a G chord, with the root in the middle. I think of those three strings as the "HOME" position. On those open strings, you can slide down two frets on the D for a fourth, the G string for a flat7th, and the Bstring for a 9th. You can slide up two frets on the D for a sixth, on the G for the 9th, and up one fret on the B for 4th. By placing an Am-shaped chord over the home strings, you've got a sus4/6 - or a Cadd9 in this case. And in the second example, you've got that nice double-stop 3 frets up from the home position. Play strings 5 & 6 open, you've got an A powerchord, though it's inverted. Play strings 4 & 5 open, you've got an inverted D powerchord. Play strings 4,5 and 6 open, you've got an Asus4. Strings 3,4 and 5 open, you've got Dsus4. Play the top 4 strings open, you've got Em7 - the top 3 strings open, you've got Em. You can use this knowledge anywhere on the fretboard!

There's more to it, of course - the Cadd9 would have to be fretted, for instance. But just knowing the above will give you a lot of options when playing slide!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, there's a nice first lesson! :D

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

Cool slidin there....Vic. Standard is "tough" for me.

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

ReplyQuote