Notifications
Clear all

slide vibrato

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kling)
Topic starter  

Some instructional books/videos say that proper slide vibrato alternates between before the fret up to the fret, and no farther. Others say you should alternate between before and after the fret (flat and sharp) in equal measure, with the fret (pitch) in between. It's confusing! Does anyone know what the greats do (Duane Allman, Ry Cooder, David Lindley, etc.)?

(@houndog)
Eminent Member

hello,
mebs not the answer you want at this point if you are working through instructional stuff..but leave the vibrato alone.

In teaching slide I say hit the slid notes again and again and again and again before trying the frills, otherwise you will vibrato all you slide...cos that's all you can do... and it does get wearing on the listener.

But, to answer your question...what feels good to your ears...is likely right :wink:

adios,
Lovat

..play it..I just hit the damn thing...

Groovecats...The dawg at the bottom end

Houndog Fraser sliding about

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yes, at first try hitting the notes dead-on with no vibrato.

I'm not sure about Duane; I'm hearing it in my head and it sounds like he's going both above and below the exact note.

For a more 'vocal' vibrato, you could go up to and below the exact note, like a singer might.

I'm not sure if anyone goes above and back exclusively, but I may be wrong.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think most folks do the vocal vibrato, down below the note and back up to it. A Lesley goes equally above and below, and sounds weirdly distinctive because of that. A string bending guitarist can only bend upward for his vibrato, but is usually applying the vibrato to a note that's bent upward a half or full step, so ends up actually "vibrating" down from the target pitch.

Something that Leslie-playing organ players do routinely that slide players should listen to and consider emulating is varying the rate and depth of their vibrato (as the organ player does by flipping the Lesley switch between fast and slow speeds.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Sharp notes has a tendency to 'hurt' a lot more than flats, at least to my ears, so be careful with the 'above pitch' part of the vibrato. I don't know if there are any fundamental rules saying never go above pitch though...
I agree that first you need to learn how to hit the notes dead on, like on a fretted guitar, or else you may develop an annoying "nervous chihuahua" vibrato that is very hard to get rid of.

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@houndog)
Eminent Member

Ladeez an gennelman ...one night only the great Chiquito the Chittering Chihuahua and His Cubano Allstars..

Great image Steinar...just great :D ( which one is Ren and which one is Stimpy again ?)

Another thing to watch in sliding to the note and giving it some chihuahua is slowing down to play the vibrato (basically because of uncertainty about where the note is..see post above) and losing the flow of the tune.

adios,
Lovat

ReplyQuote
(@kling)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the thoughts!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

( which one is Ren and which one is Stimpy again ?)
I liked Catdog better, anyway.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

I tend to favor a fast vibrato that goes over and under the note. More emulating David Lindley or Jerry Douglas, I guess, but a direct ripoff of Darick Campbell. I have tried to work out a signature vibrato sound, but that Sacred Steel type vibrato that is vocal in a gospel/R&B way is really more my thing. I don't think it is out of intonation when I do it but I could be way off base; I just like the way it sounds. To me, the whole point of single not lap steel is to add a sort of drama to the song, and maybe build anticipation.

ReplyQuote
(@houndog)
Eminent Member

Yip,
as the Docs above say.

Catdog...I know how that one goes. 8)

Sacred Steel...I like that sharpish vibrato..but it works best if you keep traveling on up rather than return to the original note...it produces a great straining chihuahua sound and as Steinar says leads to some discomfort which then needs resolved..and that's tha' blues :D

adios,
Lovat

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

One of the things that is typical of the Sacred Steel vibrato is that they hit the note dead on, and then start the vibrato. In an interview one of the Campbell brothers (I believe it was) said that you got to nail the note with a "steady hand" before starting the vibrato, or else it would sound 'whimpy' and lose the power..

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I think that tip is essential for good technique. if you cannot hit a note dead on and then make up for it with sliding sharp and flat makes for bad tone, bad...everything.

I like all sorts of vibrato. slow, fast, anxious, tremelo pull off. the dead on note then becomes interesting and expressive.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

Reality is, your vibrato is as individual to you as your fingerprint. As long as it sounds in tune, there is no wrong way. Hawaiian lap steel vibrato is actually a part of the etiquette of the instrument, and you can be an excellent player but looked at as kind of a moron if your vibrato isn't right. Primitive blues players were all stylists, with a different vibrato technique sometime for the same song. The vibrato can be a hook! So use it in a way that makes you happy. There are plenty of rules in life to follow, I choose to ignore them when it's time to make music.

ReplyQuote