Clear all

Stopping the strings

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Now when i started sliding I didnt realise you were meant to stop the strings behind the slide with your other fingers. I've tried doing this but just cant manage it. I can slide without stopping but then you get this ringing thing going on, which I dont mind too much but people keep saying its wrong! So is there an easy trick to this?

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well im going to have to say more pratice. I dont do well at it myself playing bottleneck, [but I dont do the bottleneck well either....so I guess its not a major thing. :) ] but do OK on Lap steel.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I can slide without stopping but then you get this ringing thing going on, which I dont mind too much but people keep saying its wrong!

"Wrong" is an ugly little word, isn't it? :roll:

Try single, sustained notes with fingers behind slide up off the strings, then put the fingers down behind slide while note sustains. (Does that make sense?) Then two notes -- fingers up, then down. Work up to six-note strums. You want all the notes to keep singing while you put your fingers down. A few sessions of that ought to build up your touch behind the slide.

Keep in mind however that removing the "mute" behind the slide can still be part of your style. I like to let those backstream harmonies ring once in a while... for emphasis? Whatever. I love that sound!

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I'll have a go simetime.

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote