Sturdy slides?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I like to keep a slide handy wherever I am, just in case a tasty guitar happens to appear in front of me. (This happens rarely, but I like to be prepared.) Most of the time, I carry my Number One slide, a bottleneck I cut myself, in a PolyFleece bag. But that's a glass slide, and I have destroyed at least one perfectly crafted bottle-glass slide while walking around with it (utter stupidity on my part). If I destroyed this particular bottleneck... I would be in bad shape.

I have lots of options for my "carry slide": chromed steel (a couple of socket wrenches, very heavy but beautiful-sounding), ceramic (a cheap blue-glazed commercial thing, roughly the same weight and texture as my Number One), and glass (including a vintage medicine bottle -- a heavy, gnarly slide, not quite as heavy as Number One, but very close in tone). My question is: Which of these (apart from the socket wrenches) is the most sturdy and break-proof? Is bottle glass my sturdiest option? Should I settle for a socket wrench? (Far better in case of bar brawls, but GOD they are heavy.) Are vintage med-bottles durable?

Any thoughts are welcome.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm - seems like you're better prepared than I am; although I always a slide with me when I'm playing guitar, or taking a guitar anywhere, I don't carry one around on the off-chance....

If I did though, it'd probably be a light chrome steel slide or a perspex slide - the perspex one, in particular, is as light as a feather. Might be too light for your needs, though - sounds like you favour a heavy slide, in which case the chrome steel might be a good option.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Have you tried a piece of copper pipe?

Wander down the plumbing aisle the next time you are near a hardware store, and buy a short chunk of whatever is the right diameter for your finger.
Durable and cheap. If the sound is to your liking.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You might want to consider the Jet slide - there's a review here on GN, somewhere.

Edit:

Here....

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote