Clear all

Thin sounding E string

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mdsmith)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm having trouble getting good tone out of my high E. It's an 11 and I'm using a heavy pyrex dunlop and cordiciden bottle slides. I don't want the action too high or the strings too heavy since I play non slide also. Any suggestions? I thought about beefing up just the E string to a 13

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

If you think it sounds thin when playing unplugged then I'd definitely go for a heavier gauge. It's not uncommon to beef up the first string a notch or two on guitars with single coil pickups, so give it a try. If it's only a problem when playing through an amp then I'd look at the pickup,- is the string lined up properly over the pole piece?

And get a good bottleneck from Diamond Bottlenecks... :wink:

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@mdsmith)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yea, the string is lined up with the pick-up. It's a pretty cheap guitar(Epiphone Les Paul Jr), but I put a LP 57' reissue pickup in it. What string guages and tunings do you usually use. I've been messing around in standard and open E(I'm still undecided). I'm afraid to go up in guage too much while in open E. And yes, a Diamond slide is definately in my future.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I use .011 - .048 and tune to E, so I guess we have fairly similar setups then. If the problem only exist when you play slide then it has to do with your bottleneck and/or technique. If it's the same when you play standard then it must be something with the pickup/setup. I really can't see a third option here....

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@mdsmith)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks man. Its only when playing slide, so it must be my technique. I don't think I have a light enough touch. I either fret the string out a little or don't feel like I'm making enough contact. I'm used to lap style dobro with 16s, where I can actually feel the slide on the string. I guess the answer to my problem is really just practice

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd suggest that a light glass slide gives you better feel for slide-string contact with lighter strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mdsmith)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That seems to make sense. Maybe I'll concentrate on using the cordiceden bottle, and just play up and down the first string to get used to the feel. I'll also probably put a 12 or 13 on the e. You two definately been a help. :D

ReplyQuote