Skip to content
Tuning the thinnest...

Notifications
Clear all

Tuning the thinnest E-string to 659.255 Hz ?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@adamdenmark)
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a metal string, that fits on a guitar(!), that can be tuned up to E5?

In everyday terms its the octave above the thinnest E-string.

The exact freq. is = 659.255 Hz

I have posted a topic of similar content, but it seems to have disappeared from the forum.

I hope someone can help me :)

All the best to all you guitar players out there!!

Adam

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Try here. At the moment, one thread down from this one.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Physics is against you on this one. To double the frequency (go up an octave) you have to have FOUR TIMES the tension. And strings tend to sound best at about 75% or so of their breaking tension.

If you really need to get that pitch, the only way I can see to do it is use a shorter string - like a 5 string banjo does, where the highest pitched string is a lot shorter than the other four. Cutting the length in half also doubles the frequency, so if you could find a way to make that string half as long as the others (second bridge coupled with a tuner partway down the neck, maybe?) you could conceivably get that tuning through at least a part of the fretboard.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

According to D'Addario, even going down to a .07 string is not going to solve the problem.

According to their calculations a 7 string (the thinnest they make) has a tension of 7.9lbs. To get 659.255Hz, you need a tension of 31.7lbs.

Even if you could tune to that pitch, the string would feel so different to its other half of the pair that you'd not want to play for very long with it like that.

To get a string that would tune at a reasonable tension, it would have to be as thin as a hair.

I think that you're looking at a practical impossibility

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote