Clear all

upright sound lap style

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mdsmith)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is it possible to get that Derek Trucks/Duane Allman sound playing lapstyle, or is the an inherent difference in sound based on the lap style approach? I'm playing a cheap les paul with 56' pick-ups through a 15 watt marshall combo, and even with overdrive it sounds like a lap steel. I can't get that warm, almost muffled sound that I want

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

When played with heavy overdrive the lines between lap steel and bottleneck slide often is blurred (I play both),- one example is the duet between Derek Trucks and Jerry Douglas on Douglas' latest album. Often the difference is more in the phrasing than in the sound, personally I tend to phrase a little different on the two instruments, some stuff comes more natural in one playing style than the other.

Trucks use the neck pickup most of the time on his SG, and Allman usually used the bridge pickup with the tone control rolled almost completely off on his Les Paul.

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@mdsmith)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. On that recording I find that JD has a much brighter, treblier sound, while Trucks warm, rich soft tone that I love. Don't get me wrong, I love JD. He's the reason I started playing reso guitar, but his tone on electric doesn't even come close to the Statesboro Blues tone. Maybe a glass bar as opposed to a steel would help. Thanks again for the reply

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Maybe a glass bar as opposed to a steel would help.

I don't think that would help much on an electric, remember Allman used a very light corricidin bottle for slide which - theoretically - should give a rather thin sound. Same with Trucks, and he also use relatively thin strings and very low action (for slide) which - again theoretically - shouldn't sound like that at all..

Try experimenting with the tone settings on your guitar,- many players tend to forget they're there, but I use them all the time for both bottleneck slide and lap steel. Another thing you can do is to set the pickup selector in the middle position and set the volume of the neck pickup somewhere between 6 and 8 - that's my favorite slide setting on LPs, the neck pickup adds a little fatness while the bite of the neck pickup still dominates the tone.

Then you'd have to consider your amp, a 15W Marshall may not be able to provide the huge fat sound these players are known for.
Last - the thing we all hate to hear - Trucks and Allman are/were master players, and none of us would sound like them even if we duplicated their gear to the smallest detail...... ;)

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@mdsmith)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

You're probably right about the amp. I just bought that one used for 60 buck to see if I was into playing electric. Now that I'm hooked on it maybe it's time to upgrade. What are you playing through? I don't need anything to loud, as I'm usually only playing with my father. I do have to admit that I sound alot better playing through his super reverb. Have you set up any normal electrics for lap style? If so, where did you get you're nut? I've been using an extension nut, but I'd like to get something a little better. Sorry for all the questions

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Think about trying an EQ pedal. Gives you more tonal options than the knobs on your guitar and amp.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

For live playing I use a 30W Peavey Delta Blues with a 15" speaker,- not neccessarily because it's very good but it was what I could afford at the time. I'd say it's okay but needs a good overdrive pedal in front. I've been through a truckload of pedals over the last 4-5 years, mostly various models from Fulltone and Visual Sound, they're all good but these days I use Cmatmods "Butah" and "Brownie" models for overdrive.

The 15W Fender Blues Junior is pretty popular among lap steel players, but again you'd need a good overdrive in front.

Only guitar-to-lapsteel conversion I've done on electric is this "LapStrat" - a Strat with a square "Redneck" neck and Hipshot Trilogy bridge:

Of course, this will only work on Strat and Tele style guitars...

If you don't mind permanently modifying your Les Paul, then any decent luthier should be able to make a new nut pretty cheap. If you feel you're up for the job then StewMac offers nuts in all shapes and sizes that you can file yourself.

Hope this helps a little! :)

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Think about trying an EQ pedal. Gives you more tonal options than the knobs on your guitar and amp.

That's correct, but there is a certain interaction between the vol/tone controls and the pickups that you won't get with an external EQ or by adjusting your amp.

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Very true. I'm just suggesting another option to consider.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Very true. I'm just suggesting another option to consider.

Well, stop that! You're confusing me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@mdsmith)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, thanks. I've got plenty of food for thought now. The quote below is from your Strat-o-Slider post. That is exactly what I way trying to put into words. :D By the way, I know that's an older post, but that sure is a sweet looking guitar !!!!

"There is a certain bluesy "emotional rawness" in bottleneck slide that's often missing in lap steel, the lap steel almost sounds too perfect or something, too 'smooth' perhaps, for this kind of stuff..."

ReplyQuote