Vigilante Man (in open G)

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=225059

I was noodling around in open G yesterday, and found myself playing "Vigilante Man," as often happens. A couple of weeks ago, I finally mastered the one song I've always wanted to play - Mountain's "Nantucket Sleighride" - so I had a thought, why not have a real go at "Vigilante Man" - I've wanted to play that song ever since the 70's, when I saw Ry Cooder do a version on the Old Grey Whistle Test. It was something of a revelation to me at the time - one guy, with a slide on his finger, playing music like that? There and then I decided I had to learn slide guitar. It's only the last couple of years, though, I've had the time to take it seriously.

Anyway, this is a rough first take, off the top of my head, with no preparation - played guitar and sang at the same time, no overdubs. I'm going to work on this over the next few days - but unlike Nantucket Sleighride, which I basically play note for note, I'm going to do Vigilante Man my own way. It'll be interesting to see if I can get this somewhere close to performance standard over the next few days....that's what I'm aiming for, anyway.

I messed around with it last night for an hour or so, I've pretty much got the structure and the way I want the song to build mapped out, and I've nearly got a decent intro figured out, just needs a little tweaking.

Well you've got to stretch yourself haven't you......wish me luck! I really want to do justice to this song.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I really want to do justice to this song.
I think you already have, Vic. I like that a lot! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well - I've been playing around with VM for a few days now. Took me few hours, the second day, to work out an intro solo. Then I scrapped that because it sounded like a REALLY bad Ry Cooder impression. I went back to basics, and tried to work out an intro in open G. Sounds better using chords than the slide solo intro I had in mind.

Verses, I've got pretty much nailed. In MY style, which I'm pretty pleased about. Still rough spots, and a couple of places where I'm struggling to get the vocals and the guitar to mesh.

That's the hardest part - singing over slide. I'm not the greatest singer at the best of times - but playing slide, and singing at the same time, is REALLY tough.

I've got the lyrics worked out I want to use - man, there are about a hundred versions of this song, all with different lyrics. I'm trying to put together some of the different lyrics....just to make a Vic Lewis version.

So - how far am I from performance level? Could I do this in the pub yet?

NO. I need to get the vocals and the guitar working together. Gimme another couple of days..... and I'll update. Not there yet, but close to what I want.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you really care about it, it'll keep evolving. Let it. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well it took longer than I thought - but I've finally settled on a version I'm happy-ish with, with reservations. I've got the dynamics of the song - building from a slow, slow start to a big ending - sorted out. I've got the various riffs all in place - the later verses are a little darker than the early verses. I've changed lyrics around, I've changed the tempo about umpteen times, now there's only one thing left to do. Play it, sing it and record it. Well that's three things, but all at the same time? I'll try and record it in the morning!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

sounds great so far Vic 8)

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

ReplyQuote