What slide size to choose?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone!

I have a long heavy brass slide with inner diameter of 21 mm and it fits my ring finger well. In addition I want to buy a shorter glass slide and wear it on the first two phalanges of the ring or middle finger. It has to fit firmly so it should have smaller inner size. I cannot check it right now at a musical store, so could you please advise me on what size to choose if 21 mm suits well for the whole finger?

Thanks!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If by the first two phalanges you mean the more distal ones (away from the palm of the hand), I'd go slightly smaller than what fits snugly over the most proximal phalanx. Maybe 18mm? In practice, though, I find that being a little loose is no handicap as I can crook my finger slightly inside it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

If there is a Sears store near you, go to the hardware section, find the metric sockets and start inserting digits. You can get a precise measurement that way. (The sockets themselves make great slides BTW.)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've got a new slide, Dunlop Tempered Glass Heavy Wall, medium short - inner diameter 20 mm. It suits me well, 18 mm would be too small I believe. The slide is fantastic, very lightweight (which is good for my electric with a low action set up), produces bright clean sound (my brass slide makes much more buzz). Now I can finally start learning some slide technique 8) Thanks everyone!

ReplyQuote