Skip to content
What string gauge t...

Notifications
Clear all

What string gauge to use on a resonator?

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
14 K Views
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm caught between two loves,my resonator came equipped with light gauge strings,while I like medium gauge ones.I've also used Martin Bluegrass strings,which work rather well.I tune in either Open G or Open D,I never tune up and my resonator is a round neck. I don't use the square neck tuning,DBGDBD,but DGDGBD.Should I use the original strings that came on it(D'Addario brz.light strings) or use medium gauge? How about the Martin Bluegrass,since they are hybrid between the two of them? I've heard that the hybrids work best since you're tuning the two heaviest strings down a whole step.What do you all recomend?

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

A reso's cone needs a certain pressure to really come alive, so use at least medium strings. I use Martin Bluegrass strings on my weissenborn and wouldn't go any lighter on a reso, even if it's a roundneck.

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The cone(s) of a resonator can also "choke" under the tension of excessively heavy strings, as I discovered when I worked up to a custom .017-.070" set on my tricone. A spider can handle a lot heavier strings than a biscuit or tricone. The Martin bluegrass resonator strings work well on any of them for Open G or Open D. Right now I'm using .013-.056" mediums.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How about D'Addario EXP's? They're coated,but they don't feel like Elixers.Elixers feel to slimy to me. I put John Pearse light gauge pb.on it this time.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm a big fan of cheap strings. I just bought a good batch of Musicians Friend's acoustic 13 "bronze" (that's really brass) strings for $2/pack. I always pull the strings through my finger dipped in olive oil and my thumb before installation, then wipe them off, and sometimes I think to retouch them with it. Makes them a little slick, and they last WAY longer than untreated strings.

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tip!

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I always pull the strings through my finger dipped in olive oil and my thumb before installation, then wipe them off, and sometimes I think to retouch them with it.

Wow, never thought of that, I'll try it next time I change strings on one of my acoustics. Thanks for the tip! :D

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You'll like it.

ReplyQuote