Clear all

What would you do?

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hogwldfltr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for such a mundane question. I have a 1981 Gibson Custom Black Beauty in terrific shape which I never use. It is unusual in that it has the factory installed whammy bar and nut lock. I've seen a few of them, but not too many. Here is the question. If you didn't use it reqularly, what would you do with it. Sell it? Learn to use it? Hold on to it as a collectors item. It belonged to a friend who wanted to get rid of it due to a divorce. He's had it since '83. It was refretted and they did a great job on it. So it is a really nice example of the guitar. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might share.
"A wailing song and a good guitar are the only things that I understand, oh Lord."

"A wailing song and a good guitar are the only things that I understand, poor boy."

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If I were you I would send it to me. I will be happy to pay the shipping :lol:

Actually I would learn to play it, play it, take good care of it and keep it as a collectors item.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@hogwldfltr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hogwldfltr/album?.dir=8f55&.src ="ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos"

Here are some photos of the Guitar. On a totally unrelated topic, turns out my evo engine on my scoot crapped out so I get to get a new one.

"A wailing song and a good guitar are the only things that I understand, poor boy."

ReplyQuote
(@panhead74)

On a totally unrelated topic, turns out my evo engine on my scoot crapped out so I get to get a new one.

Yowch...what happened? My 1990 Sporty 883 has been virtually bulletproof despite HEAPS of abuse, including having the local shop bore it to 1200, then using the stock heads (not enough crown) which raised the compression... taking it to a different shop where some idiot ran it into the side of the building...me dropping it by grabbing too much front brake in a curve on a dirt road then riding about a thousand miles before realizing that I busted a motor mount when I dropped it...you get the idea...normal stuff.

When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Man Panhead was I the one riding with you. I remember that happening. Was I the one who rode over your foot? :lol:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@panhead74)

Man Panhead was I the one riding with you. I remember that happening. Was I the one who rode over your foot? :lol:

I don't think so, Nils...it happened in the Pine Barrens in south Jersey (nasty sandy dirt roads...not hard packed dirt like "normal" dirt roads). I don't remember hurting my foot...primarily I suffered a compound fracture of my ego :oops: busted the motor mount and got so much sand in the dam chain that I ended up converting the thing to belt drive (since I was gonna have to replace both sprockets and the chain anyway).

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I was being a little factious but the exact same thing happened to a buddy of mine and one of the other guys did ride over his foot. That was in Kentucky on the way to Bowling Green.

I also did a similar thing myself getting off the Blue Ridge parkway in NC. It was a long straight road so we wound it up. I noticed that one of my tank bolts came loose when we slowed down so I went to pull off the road to check it out and it turned out to be a shoulder with a slight incline and all gravel. You can guess the rest. Just about erased the side of my left leg and part of a tattoo on my left shoulder not to mention a busted foot peg and grip.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@panhead74)

I was being a little factious...

Yep...I figgered so :lol:

One 90 degree day I was out for a putt on the Sporty, and pulled over at a convenience store to get a cold drink and this guy in full leathers on a sport bike pulled up. We were drinking sodas and talking about bikes when three or four guys came screaming down the road on crotch-rockets, wearing T-shirts, cut-off shorts and SANDALS!

The race-bike Dude looked at my bike (with my leather jacket on the sissy bar) then pointed at the crotch rocketers and said "You can tell THEY never been down."

I just nodded and said "I hope they don't find out the hard way"

ReplyQuote
(@panhead74)

BTW - Lee:

Sorry to highjack yer thread and turn it into "Bike Stories", but...

1) Trade the guitar that you don't play for some equipment/guitars that you WILL play;

2) Answer the question: what happened to your ride, man?

(Oh, and Nils...that Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive is one of the best rides in America, notwithstanding your misfortune. Limited gas for a Sportster with a peanut tamk, though)

ReplyQuote
(@hogwldfltr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

BTW - Lee:

Sorry to highjack yer thread and turn it into "Bike Stories", but...

1) Trade the guitar that you don't play for some equipment/guitars that you WILL play;

2) Answer the question: what happened to your ride, man?

(Oh, and Nils...that Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive is one of the best rides in America, notwithstanding your misfortune. Limited gas for a Sportster with a peanut tamk, though)

No problem. The scoot flattened one of the rollers on the rocker arms. Sent metal in and scored the oil pump. Who knows where all the metal went. Just fixing the obvious is within a grand of getting a new HD refurb with a year warranty. So it's a new wrinkle black for me. I'm holding back the Branch heads when it goes in. Not sure what I'll do for a cam. It is a '98 FLTR with 46K miles.

ReplyQuote