Skip to content
What's your favorit...

Notifications
Clear all

What's your favorite Open tuning for slide?

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've tried Open D and Open G,so far I like Open G the best.I think it it sounds more "narley" than Open D.I'm still a newbie when it comes to playing slide,which means I stink.But I found some help sites and plan on buying some books or dvd's so I can study and practice more.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My favorite's Open D. You can play plenty gnarly in either one. :lol:

A really gnarly feature of Open G is the fifth on the sixth string. Great for turnarounds to land on that low D. Keef messed up bad when he pulled that string off.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

For electric stuff I definitely prefer D (or E), but for acoustic work the G tuning can be cool with the low fifth interval (D) on the sixth string, especially when self accompanying. To my ears the D tuning has a somewhat 'darker' vibe to it,- someone (Ry Cooder?) once said that D was "downtown" while G was "uptown". 8)

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I'm a G fan.

D is next.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

open G GBD GBD. have been keeping this tuning for a year now. finding all sorts of cool stuff.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Long
(@long)
Eminent Member

I like open D. I've been playing it for about half a year.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

open G GBD GBD. have been keeping this tuning for a year now. finding all sorts of cool stuff.

Is that the one that's also called 'dobro tuning?'

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Got to be open G for me, I also can then use the same guitar for Stones tunes :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Yup. Also called 'highbass-G'. Some also refer to it as the 'bluegrass tuning' but that's not fair,- it's just another tuning and you can play whatever you like on it..

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Yup. Also called 'highbass-G'. Some also refer to it as the 'bluegrass tuning' but that's not fair,- it's just another tuning and you can play whatever you like on it..

Steinar

indeed. it is high bass G tuning. typical for dobro. I have that on my national resonator, so I put it on my main lap steel. since I decided to stick to one tuning for awhile I am milking tons from it.
bluegrass, blues, even a version of Sleepwalk. I like that I can play in other keys and jam with the boys.
I have learned how to get a close Em too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

High bass G (or A) first became popular in America as a lap steel tuning, I think. For Hawaiian music, which used to be hugely popular.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

High bass G (or A) first became popular in America as a lap steel tuning, I think. For Hawaiian music, which used to be hugely popular.

Just to be extremely picky :wink: it was lowbass-A, which also was the first tuning the Hawaiians used. They kept the first string in E, as on regular guitar, and tuned from there. I have a Rich Manoloff "Electric Hawaiian Steel Guitar" course from the '30s in lowbass-A, pretty cool stuff..

:)
Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That, too, but I still think the first popular use here of high bass G or A was for lap sliding. And that's how it got to bluegrass, through the Hawaiian Dobro.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've messed around with open D, and - very infrequently - open E. They're esentially the same tuning, but the strings are tighter in open E. Somehow I always end up back in open G though - it seems quicker and easier to tune, and the key suits my voice better.
A really gnarly feature of Open G is the fifth on the sixth string. Great for turnarounds to land on that low D. Keef messed up bad when he pulled that string off.

Maybe, maybe not - take a look at the strings he's using. No D on the 6th string leaves xGDGBD - root, 5th, root, third, fifth. Now look at the bottom five strings in open D - D A D F# A - root, fifth, root, third, fifth. If Keef's chopping and changing from open D (Happy & Honky Tonk Women) to open G (Brown Sugar, Start Me Up) it must make the transition easier, the only difference between the open G without the 6th string and the open D tuning is the extra root note on the first string in open D.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Didn't know he was using Open D for Honky Tonk Women. I thought he was in Open G and have it figured out that way.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2