Clear all

Don't have a heart attack SSG5-Week 49-Nick

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Figured if I was here for the beginning of Bob's run, I might as well be here for the end.

The best kind of bad news

Too late to tell you now

I didn't know I didn't want you to go

....and no, those titles have nothing to do with Bob's departure.

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

The best kind of Bad News - A breakup song with a twist. The person being broken up with really wanted to break up with the other but didn't quite know how.

Too Late To Tell You Now - I've been cheating but you found out on your own.

I Didnt Know I didn't Want You To Go - self explanatory missing you kind of song.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Too late to tell you now

Hi Nick,

They all had a bit of a "My Dog Got Run Over This Morning" feeling about them for me. Got any cheerful ones? :)

At my age, bad news usually seems to involve the phrase "test results" and another friend getting a very nasty diagnosis, so I'm not sure where I'd take that one... :( I guess it would have to be something lighter. Maybe:

"Your Grandma just died, but she left you the farm..." On second thoughts, perhaps:
"Your Grandma died, but she left you her teeth..."

"Our son was arrested this morning, but I rented his room out this afternoon..."

"The doctor says Sally is having a baby, but she swears she's not the mother.... "

OK. I'm warming to the idea...

Too late to tell you now

I guess that is another gloomy relationship number. But I'd be tempted to give it the "I waxed the floor at the top of the stairs..." treatment. Tom Lehrer or Randy Newman to sing.

Geez, I must be in a cyncial mood today. I completed that as:
"I didn't know I didn't want you to go, but I certainly enjoyed pulling the trigger".

Perhaps something gentler though...
"I didn't know I didn't want you to go, but I'm having a hell of a good time with your credit card... "

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Hey Nick,

Seems you are in a bit of a country mood with all of these.

Grampa just died but I was in the will
Too late to tell you now

I like Pearl's idea but it could also be
"I've loved you for a long time but you're marrying someone else"
or "You died before I could tell you how I felt" Maybe to a parent?

Life is full of regrets

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Interesting....yep they all could be country, but I was thinking of the BEST kind of bad news, like "she's bad news" momma said, or You told me you're leaving, that's the best bad news I've heard all day. And I was thinking of that as a bit of rock and roll. I wasn't thinking downbeat at all. Interesting how the title I had in mind didn't have the same impact on you.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Interesting....Interesting how the title I had in mind didn't have the same impact on you.

Ain't that the truth, though? Not to mention the whole point of the exercise. :wink:

For what it's worth, I didn't think country once...

I thought of this in a Ramones sort of style ("...I'm bad news / the best kind of bad news..."). But it could also be...

Too late to tell you now

Seems I've been in a jazz mood of late and this (and the first title too!) feels like Texas swing and has got Lyle Lovett's name all over it. Not to mention his gentle and kind take on life.

Alright, this one could be country. But it's a sweet country - more Randy Travis or Clint Black when he's romantic.

Also, I misread this last one twice and now I kind of like the misreadings as titles:

I didn't know I didn't want to know

I didn't know I didn't want you not to go

Can't tell you how good it is to see you back, sir!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

:lol:
"I didn't know I didn't want you to go, but I certainly enjoyed pulling the trigger".
Perhaps something gentler though...
"I didn't know I didn't want you to go, but I'm having a hell of a good time with your credit card... "
Chris
:twisted:
Yes, i agree they have a mournful feel.

Everyones had a lot of fun with this one - it should be fun to write it.

Definitely a love song, one of those titles that tell you the whole story.

Too late to tell you now
Definitely gets me curious. opposite to the above, it sets you up for a good story.

Cheers
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

My first impression was that this would be like "My Favourite Mistake" by Cheryl Crow(?).

Too late to tell you now
Let's get even more depressed and make this a eulogy. Or about an unspoken crush where the one party has moved on.

Seems to me this could be a line in the song above.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

chris had a lot of good suggestions for your titles, if you ask me:-)
especially the "..enjoyed pulling the trigger" one.

the title that struck me first was "The best kind of bad news"..
makes me think along the lines of a door slammed closed or a pull on the noose(if that's how you say it).. kind of at least the waiting's over.. or.. yes, your options are limited now but that makes it eaasier to choose.. know where to go..
well. ;-) :wink:

cheers,
straycat

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote