Clear all

How will Week 50 work?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So I thought I'd go out on one of my favourite types of assignment, one in which we produce a different part of a song collaboratively. We'll do titles this week, choruses next and verses for my last week.

Hi all,

Sorry to be a bit dense, but how does the concept proceed from here?

I've never seen so much traffic so quickly for an SSG topic, and the permutations and combinations for possible songs from all these title ideas must already be astronomically large. The notion of working through all this to produce a single song "collaboratively" sounds quite boggling. :shock:

Or do we each choose our favourite title(s) from the many options and then write our own chorus(es) to fit, and then carry it through to the verse week as well? Or are the 3 weeks - Title, Chorus, Verses - all completely separate, and mainly an independent exercise in testing out both our reactions to others' writing and our own ability to 'sell' a concept? Or...??

Either way it's a great thing to do - not just a lot of fun, but instructive too. :D

I gather it's been done here before, but I missed it the first time. Anybody know how it goes please?

Cheers,

Chris

(@davidhodge)

Ultimately how things go is completely up to Bob.

In the past, in the second week people would be asked to come up with one (and sometimes two or three) choruses for a title. No one was allowed to work on their own title.

Then the third week would be writing verses for just one of the choruses. Again, you couldn't work on something with your title or your choruses. And then we might have a final week where you get to write a bridge section (again it wouldn't be something you'd already had a hand in) Many people would be working themselves into writing frenzies by this point so you end up with several very, very interesting lyrical collaborations, each song having a different writer for its title, chorus, verses and bridge.

And then there's also the added bonus of the fact that you can always go back and write your own song from your own title entirely from scratch, just based on suggestions from this week.

But, as I mentioned, Bob has the say on exactly how this particular excercise will run. No doubt it will be interesting. Already has been very interesting.

And it is a lot of fun, isn't it? It's been done a few times in the past (and will be done again) but I can't remember the last time. Might be more than two years now...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks David,

That sounds excellent. :D A good way to squeeze the maximum amount of benefit out of it without ending up with either complete chaos, or else hurt feelings because somebody's input did or didn't make some kind of single 'final cut'.

It sounds as if everybody will be able to enjoy themselves with this and get a lot out of it in the process.

Great to see Bob's run ending on such a good note, with so much enthusiastic input. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

David's right in his assessment of how this will work - if it isn't broken don't fix it.

As for stuff that people don't take up it knid of lies in the bank gathering interest. I'll make a composite post of all the titles but not necessarily the chorus.

Sometimes one idea gets a lot of attention and it's interesting to see how ideas differ.

It's a bit self indulgent as it is my favourite type of assignment and it's the same assignment from which I wrote what I still consider my best piece of writing. It's also a little less taxing in the first and second weeks and I'm glad you're enjoying it so far :wink:

Bob

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Yikes.
I posted lyrics to one of my own titles. I am so sorry. I did not understand how this worked. If I offended anyone, I completely apologize.

Matt

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Offense? Bah...

Seriously, as mentioned (and as you've discovered) one of the added pluses of this assignment is that you might come up with a song on your own that you wouldn't otherwise have done. Very cool!

We've gotten a lot of interesting collaborations with this, but many members have also gotten inspiration for their own tunes as well.

Peace

ReplyQuote