Clear all

Misquote - SSG46

15 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Another song dashed off in five, well thirty minutes. It seems like if I take too long i'll never get anything written! I don't know what this is about...

MISQUOTE

It was one of those you had to be there kinds of things.

Cause when i say it again it don't have the same funky rhythmn kind of ring.

Like when i wrote that note
You thought it was misquote
You wanted sugarcoat
Said it should be rewrote

I say, let's give it the vote
I say let's give it the vote

I said it again late last night just to sent the record straight

But when you say it now it sounds like you don't quite appreciate.

Like that time online
Thought I was superfine
Said let's go to the skyline
Don't need no valentine

I say, let the stars allign
I say, let the stars align

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

It was one of those you had to be there kinds of things.

Cause when i say it again it don't have the same funky rhythmn kind of ring.

:)

That drives me nuts when that happens.... I come up with a really nice rhythm for a chord progression, and then later I've still got the chords but I can't get the right rhythm back... or I've got some words but I've lost the way to sing them...

I've actually been thinking of buying one of those tiny hand held voice recorders so that I can just keep it in my pocket and mumble things into it before I lose them again. :?

If it's any consolation, it came across fine to me. I heard it as a rap song with a real driving chunk chunk chunk sort of feel. I know absolutely nothing about rap, so I haven't a clue how the music works behind it, but this does sound like it could be taken a lot further and the story expanded on. I really liked the 'sugarcoat' part. :)

It would be good to hear some more if you do recapture the feel and decide to do some more work on it.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i think you misunderstood, ironically enough! those two lines are in the song! They're the first two lines!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

those two lines are in the song! They're the first two lines!!!!

:D

Yes, I can see that. :) But it strongly reminded me of a problem we all get now and then - losing something that you had in your head, and not being able to reproduce it quite the way you want next time around. Did you mean something quite different with those lines?

You said at the start "Another song dashed off in five, well thirty minutes. It seems like if I take too long i'll never get anything written! I don't know what this is about..." which sounded to me like it could be a sort of 'one shot' exercise. It did sound very much like a 'mood of the moment', stream of consciouness type of song where you tumble it all out in an improvised rap kind of way, rather than spend a lot of time deliberating the structure, precise word placement, and so on.

When you do write like that it can be quite difficult to just slip back into just the same 'feel' on demand in order to write more or re-write. At least that's what happens when I try it. :wink: Perhaps I'm on the wrong wavelength here though... but as you say, that's rather what this week is about, so maybe that would be kind of appropriate....

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I h ave chronic writers block. If I don't just write it quickly I won't at all because I tend to analyze myself out of it.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I h ave chronic writers block. If I don't just write it quickly I won't at all because I tend to analyze myself out of it.

:( Block's a drag.... I know what you mean about getting into 'over-analysing' mode too. That often happens to me if I try and write 'good' material, which is why I'm only aiming to attempt quite straightforward jokey stuff for the first few weeks. If I set the bar too high I just crash into it instead of sailing over...

I hope you do get some more inspiration, either with the musical or lyrics side of it, because it does seem to have plenty more potential.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

if you have writers block the best thing to do is to just write. don't give it too much thought. you can always edit later.....your assignment for now: write a song. come back here in five minutes with it....

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

scared him away.....

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

scared him away.....

Nope. Just downstairs making bread, getting some phone calls out the way, etc. Gotta go out now, but I did get a couple of verses done on my song for this week. It's going to take more than 5 minutes though. :P

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

if you have writers block the best thing to do is to just write. don't give it too much thought. you can always edit later.....your assignment for now: write a song. come back here in five minutes with it....

Later. OK back from town. My friend who runs the music shop flew home in the early hours of this morning and had to open the place in a semi-comatose state. So apart from some other jobs, I had to respond to his call for an emergency sandwich run to save his life... Apparently... :roll:

I tried your challenge and it was certainly a lot of fun. 8) I stuck as close as I could to to 5 minutes - and boy, doesn't that go quickly! :shock: But it certainly forced a lot of ideas to pop up in a short space of time. Maybe I could spin some of them out into a different song another day.

I don't think that there's going to be much of a market for elderly white Australian rappers if this effort is anything to go by. But it was done fast. :roll:

MISS-MATCH

Hey hey waddya you know
When I want fast then you want slow
If I think stop you always wanna go
And when I say “yes”, then you say “no”

We're wired up all wrong here baby…

I think witty, you say clown
Whatever I do you puttin' me down
When I'm in the air, you're on the ground
You gotta sweet face but you messing me around

You and me just ain't syncronising here….

Whatever I say you givin' it a twist
I say I've hit, an' you say I've missed
When I'm lookin' happy, you're lookin' piss'd
We can't keep on bitchin' each other like this

We're a disaster area honey…..

Cheers,

Chris

I think I'd better get back to working on my conventional "Country Corny" style song for now... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

that's pretty good....

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Pearl,

The only problem I see with this song is it leaves me wanting more.
It could be fleshed out some with an other verse or two so we could here the
rest of the story.

Chris,
your little number could work to Bo Diddley beat.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hey nice lyrics Pearl

I am suffering from major block , I can't seem to get anything happening it could be I want to play more and learn more about playing at the moment . I'm sure something will come soon enough .

Well done

Trev... :wink:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

to you trevor, i recommend the same prescription. take five or ten minutes and just write something and call it a song. don't deliverate too much over it. just get it out.

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Hi Pearl

This is pretty good. I agree with Celt that more could be added but what you've got is pretty good. I hear it kind of spoken, Robbie Robertson style, over the music rather than sung all the way through.

Any ideas for music?

Good take on the asignment

Bob :wink:

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote