the only way to tell
that i made it down to hell you'll all be there as well
i'll see you all in hell

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Jason!

Welcome to SSG!

Like my song for this week, you might be a little over-sentimental with this one . . .

BTW,
Stikman, Celt, and I are climbing a mountain (this week) . . . we're heading the other way.

Seriously though, I like it.
It has a nice cadence to it, expresses an emotion really well . . .
. . . been hurt and want to hurt back.
The lyrics show persistence and being adamant about what you are saying . . . and a one chord song would suit that.

And also seriously, Welcome to SSG. I think you are going to be making it even more interesting.

Give my regards to Satan, :mrgreen:
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Edit: removed by author.

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i've posted in ssg before

the song was not meant to be funny :(

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i put up both versions i recorded. click the lo-fi version of the original or you'll get garbage. the new one should be fixed now
http://www.soundclick.com/jesustapdancingchrist

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

WoW!

The MP3 was not at all what I was expecting. Reading the lyrics I was thinking more punk
maybe the Ramones. Instead I'm hearing John Lee Hooker or maybe Son House.

Was the static on the recording intentional?

I Like it :D

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

I'll second that wow and add another. REALLY liked the MP3. It just goes to show how music and the individual style of a singer can really bring life and meaning to words.

Great Job.

Neil

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Was the static on the recording intentional?
John
no, unavoidable.

thank you both. i put up both recordings i did.

ReplyQuote
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member

oh yeah, listing to your recording made it good. pretty depressing lyrics, but hey, it's the blues and your playing and voice make it stick. i'd expect in hearing it live there'd be a lot more jamming on the scales and a nice bass line in run down blues bar. drums wouldn't fit, good to keep it simple.

jeremy

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Sorry Jason, sometimes it is hard reading text to tell what's going on. I should not jump the gun. :oops: I guess it was the whole "see you in hell" thing, all the pain, and reading it out of context. I do remember thinking that it was clever. I'll delete my laughter post.

Couldn't really listen to your one chord song mp3's. They were distorted and warbly. I did listen to some other stuff and liked it.

Again, sorry.

Ernie

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

click on the lo-fi links. they still work, although they're obviously a little unclear. i don't know why the hi-fi links are junk.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Jason,

Musically Very cool! :mrgreen:
Lyrically good start...definitely and unhappy singer.

Suggestion:
While there are minimal words consider giving a glimpse of a story....for example a run away slave saw his brother lynched and wants revenge....just Jesus told his disciples he was going to Heaven to prepare a place for them....the singer can be saying I want to get to hell before the lynchers arrive to be sure there is something special awaiting their arrival :twisted:

Anyway...something to give a glimpse as to why the singer is such an unhappy camper.

Good job!

James

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I think James has got a good point. On first read your song strongly reminded me of the traditional song Sam Hall, which some of you might remember from Johnny Cash's cover on American IV (same disc that Hurt is on).

The main reason for giving your narrator any kind of backstory or individual personality traits is to seperate these feelings, which are universal and felt by everyone at some point in their lives, and give the listener a reason to see/hear why they are unique to this particular narrator.

This is very good as it is (for whatever reason it comes over fine on my computer - a little muddy but nothing that detracts from a good listen to the song) but it might be better with a bit of specific personality attached.

Looking forward to more.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Hi Jason,

I listened to the low-fi versions. Great guitar playing. Nice job.

Ernie

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Jason, I must confess I don't remember you posting in here before - must have been a while back. Pity, really, we'd have more to listen to!

As for this song - I actually had to listen a couple of times to make sure there was only one chord in there! Seems like a lot going on, for such sparse instrumentation.

I get a real olde-time blues feeling from this - sounds like an authentic blues song from the 20's or 30's. I don't just mean the sound quality, either - It sounded pretty clear on mine, too, even on lo-fi.

Funny thing - reading the lyrics, I noticed the rhyme scheme was consistent throughout - three lines the same, then in the last line an internal rhyme and the same rhyme. Except for verse two....

"every day it stings
every day it stings
every day it stings
and i don't wanna know what tomorrow brings"

to keep that consistency, that last line would have to be something like

"And I don't wanna think what tomorrow might bring."

The funny thing, is I never noticed it when listening to the MP3.

I like it - quite a lot, actually. Hope you'll stick around for more!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2