Notifications
Clear all

So...

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Okay, we're about a third of the way into Year 6 here at the SSG. And every once in a while, I tend to stop and work out how things are going and would appreciate your feedback. I do this with my private students, too, so it's a habit that's pretty hard to break! :wink:

How are we doing? Are you liking the topics? Dreading seeing the assignments? Just too busy to think about it?

What do you think can be done to improve things, if you think they could stand improving?

In other words, is the SSG Year 6 working for you so far?

Looking forward to the discussion.

Peace

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, I've got to admit, I'm struggling to string two coherent sentences together at the moment. So far this year, I've managed two songs - my least productive, leanest writing spell since I first wandered into the SSG one quiet Sunday night about four years ago. And I haven't written a line outside of the SSG assignments, either.

But - that's all down to one thing. Personal circumstances. I'm finding it hard at the moment to get motivated to do ANYTHING, let alone sit down and actually write something meaningful. And the last time I did manage to put a song together, it was so bleak and stark I actually hated it! I managed to record it, but it's probably the song I'm least likely to play when I pick up a guitar.

However, it looks as though things are about to change for the better - maybe once my life gets back on track, so to speak, so will my writing.

Other people seem to find their regular dose of inspiration on a weekly basis - so to them, I'll say, keep up the good work, and hopefully I'll have something new to offer in a few weeks time once the dust settles.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

yup, yup, the topics are kewl - I think the general thing of being prompted to write by someone else is great for developing your skills. take my SSG15 blues tune - there's no way I would have sat down and chosen to write it, it only happened due to the SSG, but I really like it and would be more inclined to work in that vein outside SSG now.

I think the feedback is a bit hit and miss though, TBH, and I'm as guilty as everyone/anyone else here - some weeks there's tons of feedback on most/all songs, other weeks barely any. I think there's more feedback in weeks when lots of people post songs, so perhaps we should make more of a collective effort to review each other's work in the weeks we don't post one ourself.

I've had to skip a few weeks due to having a heap of different, yet related, music things to be getting on with - seems like whenever I pay attention to one thing something else suffers as a result, lol. hopefully that'll change as things quieten down for me. but even when I don't write a tune, just reading the assignment and thinking through ways to approach it, and reading other people's submissions does wonders. perhaps we could post ideas/outlines for songs in week's when writing the whole thing is too daunting? I know a few of us have skipped a week but had a good idea, and throwing it out there could lead to a collaboration, or help it get tweaked, or just add to the general educational benefits of SSG.

but they're just some thoughts. if I didn't think it was working I wouldn't bother posting (tho' I should probs stress that I've only ducked out on the SCW due to being horribly busy! gotta get back to that in the future, too).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

My usual routine is to check the topic on Sunday, and then spend a good part of the day thinking about it, and trying to find a spin on the assignment that speaks to me. It doesn't happen every week, but some weeks it's almost immediate. Some songs are gifts, and all it takes is a little shove to get them out. Other weeks, no matter what, I can't find a voice. I don't think it has to do with the song topics, but the individuals response to them. I think that I'm also guilty of not giving enough feedback on others tunes, but I'm not very good at critique, and I hate to squash someone else's creativity with a negative comment. I love reading what others have to say about my songs, however, so I need to get on the stick and start adding my 2 cents more often.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

the assignments are ok. people, including me, need to participate more both in writing songs and in giving feedback to others. I thought that maybe you could bribe people into participating more with a prize each week, like featuring a song on the site for a day.

Like Katriech above me, I don't always know what to say to someone. Maybe some tips on how to critique the work of others...what we should look for in a well written song, etc. I also find that once lyrics are put to music they make a little more sense.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I check in most Sundays, and there have been some great topics which I could easily work with given some extra hours in the day. Well, as you once said yourself, David, I could always give up sleep (that was you, wasn't it? I know it was definitely somebody round here).

Having spent the last three years working for Grade exams instead of writing songs, I'm starting to get a few ideas work their way through the fog that passes for a brain and I'm scribbling them down as fast as I possibly can. Words aren't flowing yet, but it won't be long.

So, on the basis that if it ain't broke don't fix it, keep it going David, we're right in there with ya.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I'm just slack ...

I find it very hard to find the time to put together a whole song , I have about 20 ideas / parts of songs but none nearly finished , to answer your question , the group is going well . Its just the slackers like me letting everyone down :oops:

Trev..

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

Well David,

While I look forward each week to the new topic, more ofter than not I react with an " oh *#!*^#!. But them, somehow, more often than not, I bunker down and come up with something. And that's what this forum is all about . . . . learning how to write . . . . and not just about things you're comfortable with . . . . . . . So, you're doing your job and doing it well. Thanks.

Neil

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

boy am i late :wink:

just wanted to say i like the assignments. some sound familiar, but that's okay (challenging, i should say).
the advertisment assignment was really interesting, but i couldn't get past the first ideas and words looked awkward on paper. and i still haven't posted my blues yet.. written one, tried the chords, changed the chords, tried recording.. but it needs more time, i guess. so if i post nothing it does neither mean that i'm not looking at the assignments nor that i am not trying to come up with something. thus, your assignments are fine :D

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

The assignments are fine. As for myself I'm going through a bit of writers block right now
and can't seem to pull anything. I've been reading the assignments and submissions but I find
it hard to critique when I'm not putting anything out there for others the critique in return.

I'm hoping to put something together this week and if not I will try to at least give
some input for what it's worth.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

HA!
I like how everyone who has responded to this hasn't posted a song yet this week! Must be the weather!

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi David,

I think that you can feel pretty good about the assignments, I think they hit the spot in terms of creativity and are well pitched in terms of difficulty. So no problems from my perspective. As far as my personal involvement this SSG year is concerned I would have to admit that other things musical are taking priority for me at the moment namely my involvement in live performance, both in an administrative capacity and as a participant.
As for improvement, my feelings in this area are probably well known; I believe that forums in general, can only work with active participation, and this forum in particular with assignment submission and feedback. Its cuts both ways.
From my own experience as a submitter, I wait with anticipation for someone to 1) acknowledge the fact that I've actually done something and 2) to hear about what people liked or disliked about it. There is always something to learn from the opinions of others. When offering feedback I try understand what works (for me) and why and what doesn't work (for me) and why. Trying to understand the why and to articulate that in writing is where the learning is.
I think as a minimum commitment to this forum, if you submit a song for a particular week then you should also give feedback to all the other submitters for that week.

Anyway great job David, keep it up.

Cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just to add a few further thoughts....

I think this forum's been more succesful than its creators (Nick and Ryan Spencer, f I remember correctly?) could ever have imagined - there are quite a few contributors who'd never written anything before setting foot in the SSG. Other people (I'm including myself in this category) who'd had previous writing experience have, by dint of regular participation, developed or honed their own style and, through the comments of those who are kind enough to critique, been encouraged to explore unfamiliar writing territory.

I think the transition from Nick's assignments to Bob's to David's has been pretty seamless - there's always been something for everyone to get their teeth into. And even if the topic's been done before, it's always worth having another go, trying it from a different perspective or viewpoint.

I do like the way David's kept the various suggested topics all in one place, rather than posting a "sticky" each week then releasing it back into the wild when the next week's assignment is posted - there are bound to be weeks when people, for one reason or another, just can't make the deadline - it's nice to know the deadline isn't set in stone, and one week's assignment can be done at a later date. I know there are a couple I'd like to go back to, when I get time.

And finally, I know the SSG was originally conceived as a vehicle to practise the craft of writing, "arpeggios for the brain cells" to quote the forum description....but I feel my writings improved to such an extent since I started participating, I'm quite disappointed these days if I write a song and it's not a "keeper." I'm pleased to be able to say that doesn't happen very often these days!

So a big thank-you to all of you who've ever encouraged me, whether by suggesting topics or critiquing my work....it's been an invaluable part of my musical education, and I look forward to learning more!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

Well i have never posted anything here. My first song ever is posted on the GSC board. I check in periodically on topics but a lot of these topics (98%) don't strike me as something to write about, I.E: Politics, Cowboy/country,Promise. See ideas like this just go straight through my head as, Been there heard that, Other than that I think the group from what i have read is great. I personally need to participate when I can.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Well i have never posted anything here. My first song ever is posted on the GSC board. I check in periodically on topics but a lot of these topics (98%) don't strike me as something to write about, I.E: Politics, Cowboy/country,Promise. See ideas like this just go straight through my head as, Been there heard that, Other than that I think the group from what i have read is great. I personally need to participate when I can.

come on in, the water's fine! It doesn't matter what the assignment is, it's just songwriting practice.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2