Notifications
Clear all

SSG 6 week 48 - Alan Green

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

It's been ages since I posted anything in here.

The week before last I had the good fortune to be on the bill at an Invitation Only Open Mic in Gt Barrington, Massachusetts. Many of the performers wrote their own songs and listening to them made me realise how far behind I really am. So, it's time to put that right.

1 - We carved our names on the trees

2 - The soldiers standing in line

3 - Talk to me don't talk to me

4 - No money was harmed (with thanks to Rage Against The Machine who used the line at the end of the video for "Sleep Now In The Fire")

5 - Well,

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It has been a while, hasn't it! And you were fairly active in the early days of the SSG, too....

anyway....

#1 - Oh, I like that. There's a couple of trees in a local park that have got my initials carved (hey, I was a "teenager in love at the time - and the trees lived!) on them , along with someone else's - I could definitely work with that as an opening line.

#2 - Lots of possibilities. Could lead to anything from ennui to a political protest song.....

#3 - Isn't that from a Bowie song? "Fashion?" "listen to me, don't listen to me, talk to me don't talk to me"....seems familiar anyway. Could work in one of those end-of-relationship songs - "talk to me, don't talk to me, I don't give a damn any more..."

#4 - again, lots of possibilities with this one. Not really topical though, with the pound so weak against the Dollar and the Euro!

#5 - well - what can I say - could go anywhere!

First one's definitely the stand out for me, I could probably work with that and get something out of it.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hey Alan

Fancy meeting you here! Good to see you again, sir.

I think I'd like to see a song with Vic and the tree discussing life. Could be very interesting for those of us listening in. Your #1 suggestion is definitely thought provoking. It's a familiar statement and going somewhere with it could be half the fun. In addition to trees, what about all the bits of cement or walls of buildings and subway tunnels...

While I'd love to see someone work up some lines from #4, I'm personally interested in #5. Second line - "yeah" or "uh?"

Peace

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Ahh #5,
I remember it well, well "W.e.l.l" actually ( http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32421&p=295593 ) I vote not do that one again :D .

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

Hee hee - not as easy as it looks, I know. I had no idea anyone else here had done anything like that before

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

Nice to have you back :D

I really like the first and the third one. I'm all for the Vic vs. the trees song :D

Cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Hi Alan.

It's odd but all of these remind of other song.
Not that that's a bad thing.

1 - We carved our names on the trees - (Diary by Bread)

2 - The soldiers standing in line ( Sky Pilot by The Animals)

3 - Talk to me don't talk to me ( Elmor James Talk To Me)

4 - No money was harmed (Warren Zevon's Classic Lawyers Guns and Money)

5 - Well,( Of course Well,Well,Well by John Lennon)

Might be some food for thought

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote