Notifications
Clear all

SSG Week 43, Part 2

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

If you read this week's assignment, then you know why you're here!

"Part 2" of this week's assignment is to come up with other ways of coming up with a topic at random and then sharing this with the group. As promised, here is a thread dedicated specifically to "Week 43, Part 2" for you to chime in on.

Looking forward to reading your ideas!

Peace

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Reminds me of The Dice Man - a tale about a guy who made life decisions based on throwing dice. It was a bit of a cult for a while, especially if done in a risk taking way. For instance you might decide to assign actions to numbers - such as "if I throw from two to three I have to make advances to the woman next door today, if I roll between four and six I have to come on to her husband, if it's seven to nine I hit on their daughter, but if it's ten to twelve I stay home." Then you had to go through with what the dice told you. Actually, I might want to swap that first option into a more statistically favourable position... but you get the idea.

I chose the option of "Whatever number I throw I won't actually get around to reading The Dice Man. :wink:

OR

Find a topic by closing your eyes, opening the dictionary (or any book on your shelf) at random, placing your finger on the page and using the word, phrase or passage that you land on.

OR

I just tried typing the word "topic" into Google and hitting the "I'm feeling lucky" button and got this:

I See Dead People

Great Moments in Corpse-Peeping

hmmm.... :shock:

Actually...

I don't know why I'm even bothering to think up ways of doing this. At my age, ALL the thoughts that I ever get now are random ones.... why would I need some kind of PLAN for it????

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

I Googled Random Song Title Generator and Found This Site:

http://www.heuristicsinc.com/sfgen.shtml

You could either use the first one or surf through until something strikes you.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Telephone directories are a good place to start - open at any page and.....

well, the name of a street might jump out at you - there's a single in the UK charts by Duffy at the moment called "Warwick Avenue." There's a Warwick Avenue not far from me - all the streets on that estate have names beginning with W. Windsor, Woburn, Welbeck, Woodstock....hmm, that'd make a good song title.....

or there might be an unusual name - or a commonplace name, even, that has a nice ring to it. (Ouch, sorry, forgot the bad pun alert....phone directory? nice ring? - oh well, never mind.)

You might even see a number that looks good - something like 634-5789......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

A couple of geeky ideas:

• dictionary.com has a "word of the day" email that I used to subscribe to that sparked some song ideas, or at least some interesting lines.

• For a local flare, you could try out geohashing < http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/ >. It takes your current location and the DOW Jones index start value for the current day and does some funky math to generate a new location on the map that is nearby (a couple hours drive). The idea is that you then go to that location, but even if you just looked at it via google maps you may get some ideas. For example, today's destination for my area is Tavistock Ontario. Looking at the map I find all sorts of fun places like Stratford (Shakespeare anyone?) and Punkydoodles Corners (I'm not making that up :)).
  • Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote