Notifications
Clear all

SSG - Y7W2 -KR2

25 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Joe, if you can put this to music with a Jimmy Buffett ripoff, go for it!
I would be pleased to hear it.

Okay, I'll give it a shot, I've got some time when I get off work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfhNKK7rkhw -- That's the link to Bama Breeze

the chords for him go D, A, G, D though I think. But I can easily see the lyrics you posted with those chords.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

Ok I have to respond to this. The Bama Breeze Saloon he is shooting at is actually the Firedog Saloon in Bay St. Louis, MS not far from my house. That is the shape it and the area surrounding it (roads, beach, etc...) was left in after Hurricane Katrina, they just recently tore it down. The railroad tracks into the bay he was walking on has never looked so good I must say. They are also still in use. The Firedog was a popular place on Saturday nights (hence why he used it and he's also from here) I was actually in town the day he shot that they closed all the side streets and Beach BLVD that's why you didn't see any cars, the extras were actual people on the coast at the time playing on the beach....

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Kewl
I was wondering where that was filmed.
There used to be a place called Bama Jacks in the Keys
I thought it might have been filmed there but then the railroad tracks didn't fit . . .
So it was an ill wind that blew Bama Breeze . . . nevermind.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Ken, I like this, as I"m a huge Buffett fan, I can't really help but sing this to the tune of Bama Breeze with a little bit of changes now and then in the way it sounds.
Thanks, Joe
I'm not familiar with Bama Breeze so I'll definitely check it out.

'Bama Breeze-opening track on Buffett's most recent (2006) studio release- Take The Weather With You

Great song, with really cool lyrics (ex. "Saturday night the bouncer Grady lets the ladies in free with a fake ID and a short enough skirt..") , although Buffett didn't write it. Credits list it as being by Mark Irwin, Josh Kear, and Chris Tomkins. I have worked out the chords to this one, and if anyone is interested I could post it on the ESD. It's pretty much a I vi V IV song. I believe it's in F on the record but I play it in E capo 1.

In the meantime I'l try to come up with my own I vi V IV

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have worked out the chords to this one, and if anyone is interested I could post it on the ESD. It's pretty much a I vi V IV song. I believe it's in F on the record but I play it in E capo 1.

In the meantime I'l try to come up with my own I vi V IV
Fantastic
Anyway can we hear a sound file of you playing it?
You needn't sing if you prefer not to . . . just the chords played would be great . . .
I can use my imagination to fill in the words to the music.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Not much for me to add here Mr Rogers

I like the concept and the thinking behind the lyrics

Yeah I am slack a$$ , I will post something soon Promise ;)

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Ken, I apoligize, I couldn't get something recorded today, the high E string broke on me and I've got to go get some strings tomorrow.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't know if this is already committed to song, but one way to work out twisted or forced lyrics is to write the ideas out more fully. Make sure you set up the story and make note of what is uncomfortably worded. This should highlight what sentence you need to fix, what the main idea is behind that sentence and also give you more choices to change it. Once you have the sentence out in full, then if you wish you can compress it into fewer words. Take a look at the line you wrote, decide what is important and compress away.

I don't know your back story to this, so I'll make something up to demonstrate. I'll try to keep it in the J. Buffett style.

[A] I won a cruise for two
[D]had to ask someone, so I asked you
[E]Got to our cabin you know there's no view
'cept [A] your butt in the bunk, cause I slept below you
[C][D]

[A] "all you can eat" thought I'd give it a shot
[D] Got me heartburn and a case of the trots
[E] Tossed overboard what didn't go in the pot
[A] If you're sailing you'll wanna steer clear of that spot
[C][D]

(Oh, why the change of keys here?)

[G] I'm Just a Tennesseean
[C] In the Caribbean
[D] Heartburn, sunburn and sightseein'
[C] a little booze, lotta dramamine (dra-ma-me-en)
[G][D]

You don't have to make it rhyme like I just did. I just did that for fun. Especially when the thought of "what do travellers do when they get sick?" happened. Well they take dramamine, don't they. Wait a sec, could I stretch dramamine into a rhyme for sightseein'? Heck I'm writing the line, why not?

That's the way I tend to do it. Expand the lines, then contract them if I like. I do try to get the whole idea out on paper first, rather than concentrate on making compact lines with a certain rhyme scheme.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Dear Master Nick,

That was (in the words of Scrype) "brilliant fun".
Putting the stress on both words.

Syllabically yours,

KR2

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Master? Haha. I'm better with other people's lyrics than I am with my own.

Anyway, in one of my songwriting articles I quoted David. He had a very good point when he said something like, if you can say it with fewer words, why don't you? There is a corollary to that though, make sure you use enough words to say it. That's all I was trying to say.

Good luck with the song, I'd love to hear/see a recording.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2