SSG5 - Week 49 - Song Titles

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ah yes Bob I remember the last time we did this, great idea.
The first 3 titles are half written songs I have that it might be interesting to see someone elses take on them.

Buy me a ticket

Restless Time

Push and Shove

That

The last title could alternatively be "Who's that"

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Paul,
Buy me a ticket

Hmmm? Shades of Ticket To Ride
Restless Time

This one has a country feel to me
Push and Shove

This could go many different ways. I'm thinking Ramones
That

I like it! Not sure why but I like it.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Buy me a ticket

I'll always take a look at song that promises a journey. :)
Made me think of "Gimme a ticket for an aeroplane, Ain't got time to take a fast train" from the Boxtops hit The Letter.

Restless Time

I don't know why but I wanted it to be Restless Times rather than Time. But it could be anything from a political song to a teenege anthem. Heaps of possibilities.

Push and Shove

Definitely not hearing a slow waltz here... :wink: Anywhere between Rock and Punk via Metal or Blues. Actually, on second thoughts, it's starting to sound Reggae... You got any Bob Marley moves in your kitbag?? :)

That

I'm going to show my age here.... :( First random thoughts were "That Old Black magic", "Where Did You get That Hat" "That's The Way God Planned It" (1969 Billy Preston Album) etc. and Them (60s band with Van Morrison ). Perhaps even Frank Sinatra telling some poor unfortunate partner that "That's that"... ??

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member

Buy me a ticket

I agree it reminded me of Ticket To Ride and The Letter but it's got more possibilities.

Well, if you want me to ...., then buy me a ticket

That's something I don't want to miss, buy me a ticket

Restless Time

I can see this as a good phrase in a verse about a historical event or a feeling of uneasiness.
Push and Shove

Hmmm - not for me - bit hackneyed.
That

What was that Meatloaf song "..........but I won't do that".

It could be a repost to a challenge i.e. "What's that?"

and I said that is ...........
and that is .....................
that's the...... and the ..........
ain't that a fact?
and that is that !

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

Buy me a ticket
Restless Time
Push and Shove
That

Hi, You wont have seen (heard from me b4). Just joined. My comments/first reactions:

Buy me a ticket
- Sounds like a challenge (buy me a ticket to BB King or else). Or the start of an adventure (one way ticket to . . .). Or the end of one (buy me a ticket to . . .Im leaving you) [oops there I go again with the relationship thing]. The title suggests some sort of dialogue.

Restless Time
- I agree with other comments. It suggests travel, not able to stay in one place, soul searching, possibly unhappy. So could be a blues song.

Push and Shove
- Would tempt me to come up with similar phrases in the song; give & take, duck & dive, chalk & cheese etc

That
I think it is a risky title. Ie it could be original if the song justifies it or it could cause confusion. . .

Scene - a gig

You: 'my next song is called . . . That'
Someone in audience, turns to partner: 'I missed it. What did he say? That what?
Partner: That
some1: That WHAT?
partner (crossly): That what what? Thats all. Thats it, That, just that!
Some1: That? Is that it? Why just That?
. . .etc. :wink:

Look forward to hearing what you have developed already.

Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Buy me a ticket

Restless Time

Push and Shove

That

The last title could alternatively be "Who's that"

cheers

Paul

Buy Me a Ticket - A very old Aerosmith song "Write Me a Letter" (from their first album) jumped out at me with this title. http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0000029AL001006/002-3943551-8200820 Maybe the title

Restless Time Maybe a swing blues feel to this one.

Push and Shove - Instramental that is onthe heavy side of the fence. This one has a catchy call and answer feel to it.

That - Could be a good title for a song with a play on words. A country kind of irony in the song. That's the last thing I neeeded, the first thing this morning"

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Interesting responses. I normally dont assign a title until after the song is written (or partially written anyway).
For my part:
Buy me a ticket = 12 bar blues
Restless Time = acoustic love song
Push and Shove = probably a rocker
That = Funky rhythm, I would write this very much on the same lines as Red on Red (great title IMO) I think I would probably use the alternate title of "Who's That".

cheers

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Paul

Hope things are well and you're off to a nice start of spring...

Okay, first impressions:

Buy me a ticket

Could be anything, but I went with baseball ("...buy me some peanuts and crackerjack...") (Don't ask... :wink: ). Maybe a son / father first outing.

Restless Time

I like this one a lot, mostly because sleep seems to not come easily in our household these days. Good introspective number of the things beneath the surface. I'd go for early Ray Davies...

Push and Shove

Late Ray Davies, like from his solo album of last year. Hard acoustic rocker.

That

Like John's Chartreuse, I hear this as a jazzy instrumental. Can anyone channel Miles Davis with his or her guitar?

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Buy me a ticket
The obvious tack is boy meets girl, girl leaves boy, boy wants to be where girl is. It could go the opposite way; 'you want me to leave, just buy me a ticket'.

Restless Time
Official theme song of the seven year itch?

Push and Shove
If we're going rocker here, I'm seeing this in a masochistic sort of bent: "push and shove me" as an invitation to get rough.

That
There's a band called Lost and Found (speedwood.com) that has albums titled 'this', 'something', and 'something else'. That's what I thought of immediately. However, 'That' could refer to an incident, or the thing that someone has done that remains unforgiven.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hope things are well and you're off to a nice start of spring..
Thanks David, Ive been concentrating on my playing in recent weeks an haven't had much spare time for SSG, still Ive been popping in occasionally to see what's been happening. Ahh yes Spring, with the promise of Summer and balmy days. Down here in the roaring 40's Spring means the beginning of the equinox winds and (windy) Wellington has a reputation much like that of Chicago in that respect, still it makes you appreciate the Summer when it comes. Stay warm :)

ReplyQuote