Skip to content
SSG5 - Week35 - Har...

Notifications
Clear all

SSG5 - Week35 - Hard Sell - with mp3 (bass line)

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is pretty much on the same theme as Pete's (sorry mate) although from different angle. There's is no music for this at the moment, and for me this assignment is more about stretching my “lyric” muscles that haven't been used for a long time. Anyway all feedback appreciated.

Hard Sell
© Copyright 2007 Paul Brady

Standing in line trying to impress
There's more to me than you would ever guess
And I wouldn't mind you choosing me for a thrill
But underneath this wrapper there's a lot more still

Cos baby I come as a package
And you don't get nothing for free
So try and then buy, well that's fine by me
But you know you'll get more than you see

Well it seems to me that were all on sale
As we talk the talk and we shake our tail
But when the promotions done and we're left with the goods
Then the meaning of love is truly understood

Yeah baby we come as a package
And no one gets nothing for free
But I know I'll get more than I see

Check out my Reverbnation page here

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Hey Paul

A nice little song here, well written about a somewhat difficult theme (I think! :lol:)

My only quibble is with the chorus:
Try and then buy, well that's fine by me

The triple rhyme seems a bit off when reading it (hope you get what I mean) and while its nothing major, I think that a slight re-arrange of the words could help the flow a bit;
Try and then buy, well thats just fine

That also gives a half-rhyme in the 3rd line, which (to me at least) fits better than the triple rhyme.

Just my 0.02 cents mate.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hi Paul

Welcome back to the writting , back to the grind now hey after the little holiday :lol:

I am hearing a Beetles flavour here almost like " Hey Jude " very acustic though ...

I adore this verse

"Well it seems to me that were all on sale
As we talk the talk and we shake our tail
But when the promotions done and were left with the goods
Then the meaning of love is truly understood "

Good to see you back

Trev

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Hey Paul,

Good stuff. Yeah, it is like Pete's but its a very different person dressing to impress. Your person is using appearance for curb appeal, not as the whole package.

I felt left wanting more which can be a good thing, but it leads me to thinking that there may be a bit more to write. Maybe a bridge where we the singer hints more about what else is the "hidden" part of the package, or more directly asserts the "take me or leave me" attitude. I dunno, just a bit more tension. But then again, that depends on your music and where you're wanting to go.

As for the ABBB rhyme vs. ABCCB rhyme... I'd have to hear both put to music. Pete's rewrite is good if you end up not liking the sound of your original.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Pete, I hear what your saying, thanks for that. I think it will depend on how it sounds.
Trev, yeah definitely acoustic, I'm hearing a kind of stop/start acoustic.
Rob, yeah it definitely needs more I agree and if I pursue it I think I'm put some more in, along the lines you suggest, thanks. At this stage I just wanted to get something out as I haven't written for a such a long time.

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@ellenback)
Eminent Member

Paul,

I really agree with Hilch - that one verse is the gist of the entire song, and coming from a marketing/events background, I know about having goods left over. Just a slight quibble with the 'were' which should be 'we're'...ack, damn spelling gene! (I just never thought I'd ever hear Hilch say the word, "ADORE"...!)

LOL

Not sure if you need the 'truly' as well - try it out in rhythm set to music and see.

You switched the intent of the song at the very last stanza, from "you know" to "I know" and "I come" to "we come" - you were trying to step back to make it more identifiable with everyone? Instead of just you, it applies to all? I think that works, just wanted to be sure that was your inclination.

Overall, well done! I like it! (I'll take one of those packages...mark it as a 'gift' please so I don't pay duty!) LOL Would you then be a 'rental' instead of a purchase if I can "try before I buy?" KIDDING...

Elle

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Elle

really agree with Hilch - that one verse is the gist of the entire song, and coming from a marketing/events background, I know about having goods left over. Just a slight quibble with the 'were' which should be 'we're'...ack, darn spelling gene! (I just never thought I'd ever hear Hilch say the word, "ADORE"...!)
LOL

Fixed that (you just can't rely on spell checker can you), ADORE :lol: , definitley an interesting term to use

Not sure if you need the 'truly' as well - try it out in rhythm set to music and see.
Yeah, I think it will depend on the music and the metre.

You switched the intent of the song at the very last stanza, from "you know" to "I know" and "I come" to "we come" - you were trying to step back to make it more identifiable with everyone? Instead of just you, it applies to all? I think that works, just wanted to be sure that was your inclination.
Yes that was intentional, for me it rounds the song off, especially the last line
"But I know I'll get more than I see" where he aknowledges that she comes as a package as well.

Overall, well done! I like it! (I'll take one of those packages...mark it as a 'gift' please so I don't pay duty!) LOL
Would you then be a 'rental' instead of a purchase if I can "try before I buy?" KIDDING...
That depends on which shelf you choose from, if its the "top shelf" then it would be "Higher Perches" :lol:

BTW I really liked what you did with "Kiss Me" great job.

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

What can I say I am a very interesting character :lol:

Adore there you go Elle I said it again :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

there you go Elle I said it again
Trev I think youve been listening to OWA too much. Wasn't that her signature line in reference to Kurt Cobain.

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

lol

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member

You can also try something like this:

You don't get nothin' for free
You'll find once you get past my image
There's a hell of a lot more to see

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Interesting song. Strikes me that you're moving out of the "comfort zone" and experimenting a little - and this seems to work fine. Although I'd disagree with the acoustic treatment - seems to me like it's an acoustic song that needs clean electric guitar, if that makes sense. Strummed chords, but on electric - and maybe a second guitar playing powerchords, but with a lot of palm muting - just to keep the rhythm.

First time I read through it, nothing struck me as "off" - but Pete (1014etc) pointed out the triple rhyme, and there's a couple of good suggestions elsewhere, so I won't add any - I'll wait and see how the MP3 comes out.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I changed my original idea for the music which was on the lines that Vic alluded to with the palm muting and went with a finger picked idea instead. Anyway you can hear it here.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=328886
See if you can spot the dog entering the room and walking up the stairs (bugger).

Paul

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member

That's a nice sound, Paul. I really like that. Vocals sound really good, too. And I like the change in the chorus. Well done.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

nice Paul

Sorry I missed the dog :lol:

{ I could have sworn someone said once they could not finger pick }

Don't know who that may have been but it could not have been you ..

That was very relxing and soothing

Trev 8) 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2