Notifications
Clear all

Sunday Songwriters Group - Week 52

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

(NOTE: Even though I'm posting this, it's really from Bob. He sent me this note knowing that he'd be away for the weekend and I told him I'd be more than happy to put it up for him.

But I'd like to echo his sentiments - and to thank everyone for participating in a second wonderful year for the SSG. I am truly trying to work things so that I can be around a lot more for Year Three and I hope to see all of you on the boards.

Carry on...

Peace)

Hi Everyone

As we draw the second year of the Sunday Songwriter's Group to a close and I'd like to personally thank everyone for their involvement in the board over the last 12 months, particularly David and Nick for behind the scenes assistance and chat. I'd also like to thank all those members, both long standing and more recent, who contributed to the board with lyrics and critiques and in doing so created a real sense of ‘community.' Critiques are as important on this board as the lyrics themselves as they help to develop our songs and ‘fix' the glaring mistakes we've missed ourselves. Even if this board does nothing else but make you think that one word in one of your songs could be better placed then it's done some good.

I have had the pleasure and delight of moderating this board and have had very, very little to do in the real sense of the word. Mostly I have set an assignment, sat back and watched a large amount of fantastic contributions come our way week after week.

If you've just recently come across this board and want to give song writing a try then jump in, we don't bite (much). We value your contribution and we'll do our best to tell you honestly, without causing offence, how we believe it could be improved. We value your opinion on our lyrics even if you haven't written a song yourself. After all if you listen to songs you know what you like and what works for you and you may be surprised to find how much that will help other people develop their songs.

So as we enter the third year of the Sunday Songwriter's Group please feel free to join us – what else were you going to do with that guitar, copy somebody else forever?

It's good to write, so get writing!

Week 52

Ironically this week I'm not setting a definitive assignment. However, I would like you to look back to an early song you wrote and see for yourself where you think it can be improved. Post both the original and the revised version.

Bob

(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey dhodge,

thanks for the wonderful topic. i have been wanting to go back a revise a song of mine but have had no time b/c of having another new topic each week. i don't know how you guys can do it. think about the topic, write a song, and revise it and possibly write music to go with it, then also reading other people's work and commenting on it, all the while going to work, spending time with family and friends and participating in life outside of SSG. i don't know how you do it.

thanks for giving us reprise from thinking of a new topic and letting us have the time to go back to an older song so we can revise it.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member

Its been a good year guys. Here's to another one.

I'd like to take some time to thank Bob, Nick, Dhodge, and everyone at GN and SSG. Earlier this year I started a band. Just to see what would happen. At the time we had maybe 5 songs that I'd written that i felt appropriate for the type of music we were playing... all of those songs had been kicking around in my head for years and it was nice to finally get them out in a band format.. but.. we werent going to go anywhere with 5 songs... most of which were fairly mediocre as far as i was concerned.

In steps GN... one night i went searching for "free online guitar lessons" on Google and GuitarNoise.com comes up in the results. I wanted to pick up a few pointers on guitar. Nothing fancy. But when I get to the site. There in the little sidebar I see "Sunday Songwriter's Group". It was Week 14 of this year and I read in the topic for that week that the group was supposed to write a song with a number in the title. "Ok... sounds easy enough" I thought. And a bit later I posted up "Which 5 O'Clock".

Since then I've participated in most of the assignments posted up. I've been writing songs for about 12 years now and have never had a period of productivity and creativity that even approaches what the SSG has helped to bring about. My band now fills out full sets with good, powerful songs (in my oppinion) and almost all of those songs were written for this very message board.

Scratchmonkey once thanked the board because he woke up one morning with a song stuck in his head and it was a song that he had written himself. We all have these goals we've set out for ourselves by posting here. Well. I'll let you guys in on a few of my achieved goals. I wanted to form a full band and play original music. Done. I wanted to play shows with that band. Done. And I wanted to release an album. And in January of next year we head into the studio with a pretty major producer who sought US out after hearing two songs on the web. The songs were "5 O'clock" and "Everything's Eventual" Both SSG songs.

Anyway. This has gotten very long winded. So let me sum things up. Thank you GuitarNoise. Thank you Sunday Songwriter's Group. Thank you Bob, Nick, Dhodge, Scratchmonkey, Jamir and everyone who's helped out since I first came here. And thank you to all the people who've joined up along the way and given your input. This board is a wonderful place and I'm quite proud to be a contributing member of this community.

Thanks Again.

Cheers,
-marv

Andrew Delaney & The Horse You Rode In On ---> http://www.myspace.com/andrewdelaney

You can and should buy my album "Scoundrels!" in mp3 format on amazon.com or iTunes etc...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Marv,

On behalf of me, you are welcome.

If I had anything to do with the amazing music you put out, I'm honored.

Good luck with the album.

Can I be a roadie when you are famous?

Nick

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

By the way, nice topic this week. It lets me finish last week.

ReplyQuote
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member

Can I be a roadie when you are famous?

Nick

If it means I get access to your guitar collection... then sure.

-marv

Andrew Delaney & The Horse You Rode In On ---> http://www.myspace.com/andrewdelaney

You can and should buy my album "Scoundrels!" in mp3 format on amazon.com or iTunes etc...

ReplyQuote