196 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
73.9 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic,

I'd like to suggest one of two things, either post the new assignment in a unique post and in the year's lesson summary, or put instructions for people to click, "subscribe topic" so they are notified when the new topic is updated in the summary. I think the former is the better solution. People who aren't in the know about SSG will never see notificiation of the new topic in "view new posts". Even if there was a topic they'd like to write for, they'd never see it.

Okay - so how's about this.....

Keep all the year 7 assignments in one place, maybe a sticky thread like David's done for the year six assignments...then a separate TEMPORARY sticky with the current assignment - to be released into the wild , or maybe even deleted, at the end of the week, like Bob used to do? With a link to the sticky thread?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Perfect

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, how does it look now? The current week's assignment is now the first topic - moved out of "Announcements" - and the previous year 7 assignments are in a separate thread.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Week 7 is evil - I really want you to know that

A :wink:

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I love weeks like week 12 - half a dozen songs already, none of 'em needs much more than a spot of filler and a lick of paint to work 'em up to performance standard. Thanks, everyone!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Sheesh - is it a quarter of the way through the year already? Where've the last 12 weeks gone? Seems like two minutes ago I was checking the forum every two minutes to see if anyone was writing anything for week 1....

Great turn-out last week, I thought. Wasn't the easiest of assignments, but you all came through with flying (oops, sorry!) colours.

This week I'd like to try something that looks easy on the face of it, but may turn out quite restrictive...I'd like you to write a song that uses just ONE chord for the verses. You can have a free run on the choruses....but try and restrict yourself to just one chord, or variations on it, for the verses. It CAN be done.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JzjLX7BjJJM - It's All Over Now - The Stones. Pretty much one chord all through the verses, with a couple of hammer-ons and pull-offs.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bxMUiZzWy78 - Bus Stop - The Hollies. I think that's just an Am chord all the way through the verses.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oaYJaFWTHgM - Paperback Writer - The Beatles. To quote from Wikipedia..."McCartney had it in mind to write a song with a melody backed by a single, static chord. "John and I would like to do songs with just one note like 'Long Tall Sally.' We got near it in 'The Word.'" McCartney claimed to have barely failed to achieve this goal with "Paperback Writer," as the verse remains on G until the end, at which point it pauses on C.

I think Lennon did achieve that goal with "Tomorrow Never Knows" - correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure there's just one chord in the whole song.

So - just one chord, if you please. Variations on that chord are acceptable - maybe even a blues shuffle (D - D6 - D7.) But do try and keep the verses as minimal as you can. To quote our old friend PearltheKat, "I like songs that are minimal. In fact my quest is to write a song that sounds like nothing, if that's possible. I don't think I'd ever have the problem of having too many lines, or too many verses. I want a few well chosen words to do a whole lot." Well - here's your chance! Here's everyone's chance!

And one thing I should add, but usually forget - for those new to this forum, don't feel that just because you can't get a grip on this week's topic, you'll never fit in - feel free to jump in any time on any old topic. All the other Y7 topics are here... Y7 Topics and all last (Y6) years topics are here... Y6 Topics. If you see one that tickles your songwriting imagination, dive in - and damn the torpedos!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Can you pick/fingerpick within the chord/chord variations, or is it just strumming?

Interesting assignment this week.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Can you pick/fingerpick within the chord/chord variations, or is it just strumming?

Interesting assignment this week.

Strum, pick, a mixture of both, whatever else you come up - completely up to you. Glad you like the topic, hope I can keep coming up with something to pique everyone's interest!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

things have sunk to a new low around here when people are quoting me.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

things have sunk to a new low around here when people are quoting me.

Ooops, sorry, I did it again.....!

That minimalist thing always did stick in my mind, though. So thanks for that! It was a combination of reading about Paperback Writer on wikipedia, and remembering what you'd said, that inspired this assignment....so yeah, not only are you quotable, but you're inspirational as well!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Okay, last question I swear LOL.

Is going from say a G Chord to a G Barred Chord okay?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Okay, last question I swear LOL.

Is going from say a G Chord to a G Barred Chord okay?

Ummmmm......I'll have to have a long deep serious ponder about that one.

Ummmmm......yeah, OK. I think changing from a G chord to a G chord qualifies as ONE chord.....but always remember, there are no rules - just guidelines. I don't actually care if you use one chord with several variations, or if you use, say an open tuning and use several chords in that key - you can call 'em 11ths, add 9ths, m7ths(#5) or whatever - THE POINT IS, and it's the ONLY point of this forum, to get you thinking about subjects you might not normally think about. Or writing in a different style to your normal style. Stick to the "rules," bend the "rules," break the "rules" (good old Status Quo song there - notice how I sneaked the Quo in again? Oh well never mind....) - it doesn't really matter. The assignment's just a suggestion to get your brain cells (cell, in my case...in the singular. Very much so.) going - if you get an idea for a song that DOESN'T fit the assignment, fine. Write the darn song anyway!

G - G6 - G5 - G7 - Gsus4 - Gadd9 - Gmaj7 - Gmin7 - G dim - Gaug - they're all variations on the same basic chord. Just stretch yourself - try and write something you wouldn't normally write.

Experiment - find a chord you've never used before. Use it in a new song.
Experiment - with different genres of music. If, like me you grew up with rock'n'roll and the Beatles - try something different.Jazz, rockabilly, blues....whatever.

Like I said, the whole point of this forum is to get you thinking outside the box - instead of writing songs from personal experience (ie writing about YOU!) write about someone or something else - no one ever said your SSG submissions had to be perfect. They're not, for the most part - but in my (very humble) opinion, most of them show a lot of promise. They show you want to write - you just need something to focus on. They show you CAN write - you've all got the gist of how to tell a story or sell a mood. They show that all most of you need is a subject to write about - that's my job. Find an interesting subject, and put it to you all in a way that makes you want to write. Half of that job's already done for me - you wouldn't be here if you didn't want to write your own songs, right?

But it's all down to YOU - you have to want to write. If you do, well, I'll try and give you an interesting subject to write about. And that's about it really. My qualifications for being able to separate the wheat from the chaff? None whatsoever - like you all, I'm just a struggling hack (well, OK not like ALL of you - you're not ALL struggling!) trying to write a decent lyric that won't be laughed at if I play it to, say, my mates in the pub after a few pints.....

All I can offer is a subject to write about, and my honest opinions, for what they're worth - and of course, opinions are subjective. But so far this year, I really didn't think it would be this easy - great response virtually every week, and some really good songs. I've enjoyed reading each and every one of them - I've tried to post a comment on every song, but I missed out on week 10 - that was a busy week for me.

All I can say to each and every one of you is, keep on doing what you're doing - it's working so far!

Thank you all so much for your participation, and keep 'em coming. PLEASE - keep those songs coming! Make me feel useful.....make me feel like I've got a purpose in life.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@juliaspring)

Hello, new to the boards!

Curious as do you post a mp3 of the finished song up on this board when I am through or somewhere else?

Peace,
Julia Spring

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Hi Julia, some of us use soundclick.com. Provide a link to your mp3.

Best,
Ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@juliaspring)

Thanks so much Ernie! Hope you don't mind me jumping in at this assignment? After I read it was totally inspired and wrote a song last night. Now I'm working the kinks out to record next week.

Julia

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 14