Clear all

[Sticky] The feed-back thread - still going strong into YEAR 11

196 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
73.9 K Views
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Two good movies for you to see then, Joe.
"The Buddy Holly Story" (starring Gary Busey) and even better,
"La Bamba" starring Lou Diamond Phillips.
The story of all three is in a movie called "The Day the Music Died" and is in production . . .
to be released some time this year.

I've seen La Bamba, my sister used to watch that over and over when we were younger, I'll have to check out The Buddy Holly Story with Mr. Busey (SOBER = Son of a bitch everythings real)

Thanks for the movie info Ken!
I felt detached from this topic also
Glad I'm not the only one missing the boat on this one :D

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just wasn't feeling the topic. I did some research on the people that were listed,

I felt detached from this topic also Joe so I put myself in the mindset of being a writer for hire. Hired to use my craft to create a song. Like you did some research to get into the mood. I do want to go back and listen to these artists now.

Ernie

Joe, Ernie - you both managed to get a song written, though! Which shows that you're working at your writing - one of the best ways, I've found, to broaden your horizons is to stretch yourself by moving into unfamiliar territory. Don't forget, though, it didn't HAVE to be about Buddy, JP or Ritchie - could've been any artist who died in a plane crash. Kath, for instance, chose Jim Croce....I was thinking along Lynyrd Skynyrd lines before I decided to tackle Buddy. I did realise that not everyone was going to be totally familiar with Buddy, JP and Ritchie - I was only 18 months old when the crash happened. But as I grew up, Buddy's music was on the radio a lot - it would be many years later before I realised he wasn't actually around recording new songs......

But like I've said before, these topics aren't set in stone - try looking at them from a different angle and thinking, "how can I make this topic relevant to me?" There's a few ways you could have gone with this one....from a straight tribute, as most of us have done, possibly towards a little black humour - you know the old saying about death being a great career move...?

The "writer for hire" mindset's good - we did that a couple of times last year, a couple of very popular weeks as I recall. Visualisation's good, too - put yourself in someone else's place, as a detached observer/narrator. Whatever works for you, don't knock it...if it's worked so far, keep doing it!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

There's a few ways you could have gone with this one....from a straight tribute, as most of us have done, possibly towards a little black humour - you know the old saying about death being a great career move...?

I would think that dark humor would be hard to do.
Unless it is especially good on the humor part . . . . it could easily come across as irreverent or callous.
And if someone doesn't share your sense of humor, it IS going to come across that way to them.
But if the topic wasn't on death, I would go there . . . fools rush in where angels . . .

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow, I stumble into this thread now ....... I so need to get up to speed here. :lol: I was just thinking of a dark parody version last night as a matter of fact, but thought it in extreme bad taste. I won't share any of the offensive lyrics I came up with, but some were amusing. It is important though that such important pioneers could be wiped out yet the music continued. Heck, Rock & Roll even survived Disco! (For those of you that were too young to remember disco, put your thumb in your mouth, close your eyes and go to a happy place.) Yeah, I know, somebody liked it, but for myself, I went backwards. I went to earlier music for my inspiration and hey! It was cheap. All the good LP's were now in the cut bin. :lol:

Note: For any youngsters out there, music used to be on big black discs called records. They came in cardboard sleves. By contract, law, policy or whatever, there was a minimum price that could be charged for the album ...... unless it was damaged. Store owners would "cut" the corner off the album and reduce it for quick sale. Hence, the "cut bin". All my best albums had the corners cut off. :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

yeah, I remember disco....unfortunately. I blame the Bee gees. Shudders

Never mind. The week 13 assignment has taught me a thing or two.....

1) I think I can hold my own playing rhythm guitar. The song may have had only one chord for the verses, but it took just one take to nail it....with all the variations in the chorus.

2) I think my timing's pretty good. A definite plus point. Played to a pre-selected drum track, it took just one take - as stated above - for the rhythm guitar. That's the acoustic. Took just one take for the electric rhythm guitar as well.

3) Singing's still a weak point. Took about four takes to get a vocal track I was reasonably happy with.

4) Lead guitar's a definite weak point. Tried about 7-8 times to add a solo....got nowhere. Funny thing is, I can knock a decent solo out no trouble when the record button's not pressed in.....

5) I don't mind the actual grind of recording. Time flies - I spent about three hours on this tonight and ended up adding an electric guitar rhythm track to the acoustic track and drum track I'd recorded a few days ago.

I still need to overdub bass and lead guitars - I will get them right eventually, but it's doing my head in that I can't get them right first time.

So, to sum up - I think I'm a pretty decent rhythm guitarist. I reckon I can write a decent tune every now and then - but hell, the rest of it doesn't half need some work! I think I've got the single most important thing for a rhythm guitarist - and that's rhythm. Well, timing....but there's a LOT of things I need to put some hard work in on.

Good job I'm not scared of work - at least not as a guitarist!

And I WILL get this song finished (bass & lead) in the next few days.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Just reading this weeks assignment Vic and thought, what a small world. F W Woolworth got his start in the small city where I routinely shop, Watertown New York. When I say I live an 50 miles north of the middle of nowhere, Watertown New York is the middle of nowhere. :lol: Technically it's more like 45 miles, but 50 sounds better. It's the closest Mall and good shopping. The music store there is where I bought my Epiphone Les Paul last summer. It's across the street from the now defunct Woolworth plaza that is across the street from the decaying Woolworth building.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

We weren't the only ones writing songs about Flight 1549 . . .
again, a link I got from my brother.

http://download.publicradio.org/podcast/nflw/2009/01/19/phc_pilot_20090117_128.mp3

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Or maybe a lovers-falling-out-duet? Has that been done before? I can't think of one offhand - although I'm trying to remember the lyrics to Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood's early 70's duet, "Did You Ever"....
Here they are:

Did You Ever . . .

Did you ever?
Not so much, that you could notice
Could you estimate how many?
8 or 9
Will you do it anymore?
As soon as you walk out the door
Well I just wondered, did you ever?
All the time

Could I fix you once more?
No thanks I just had one
Then how about a nice big..
That would be just fine
Is there any special way
No, whatever you say
Well I just wondered, have you ever?
All the time

Does he look like
NO he taller and more handsome
Yeah but he is old
Oh no he's young and
he's in his prime
Does your father know? I'll bet,
Uh huh.. I haven't told him yet
Well I just wondered, do you ever?
All the time

But just for old times sake
That will be much harder
Then how about
Well are you sure you don't mind
Hey, I know just thing for us
No, I'm afraid I'll miss my bus
Well, I just wondered, did you ever?
All the time

But the one I thought of first was Johhny Cash and June Carter's "Jackson"

KR2

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Whiskey Lullaby, not written by, but performed as a duet by Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss. Absolute gem and more depressing than even country songs can possibly be.

How about brothers instead of lovers? Can't beat the Kinks' Hatred (A Duet) for being funny, scary and sad all at the same time...

Peace

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I had to look that one up . . .

Whiskey Lullaby

She put him out like the burnin' end of a midnight cigarette
She broke his heart he spent his whole life tryin' to forget
We watched him drink his pain away a little at a time
But he never could get drunk enough to get her off his mind
Until the night

1st Chorus
He put that bottle to his head and pulled the trigger
And finally drank away her memory
Life is short but this time it was bigger
Than the strength he had to get up off his knees
We found him with his face down in the pillow
With a note that said I'll love her till I die
And when we buried him beneath the willow
The angels sang a whiskey lullaby

La la la la la la la...La la la la la la laaaa...

The rumors flew but nobody knew how much she blamed herself
For years and years she tried to hide the whiskey on her breath
She finally drank her pain away a little at a time
But she never could get drunk enough to get him off her mind
Until the night

2nd Chorus
She put that bottle to her head and pulled the trigger
And finally drank away his memory
Life is short but this time it was bigger
Than the strength she had to get up off her knees
We found her with her face down in the pillow
Clinging to his picture for dear life
We laid her next to him beneath the willow
While the angels sang a whiskey lullaby

And Hatred

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, you get the idea - thanks, David & Ken - sheesh, now go write why don'tcha!!!!

I need a respite from bloody decorating, painting, papering, plastering, all that - could do with about 24 hours solid sleep. Then waking up with a nice cuppa tea and , um, er, what was the assignment again?

Head completely cabbaged, achin' all over, and looking forward to tuesday......

Why Tuesday? 'Cause it's not Sunday....and I need a couple of days to catch up on sleep. I may suffer from insomnia, but when I catch up, hell that's one SERIOUS sleep.

Gimme a couple of days to rejoin the human race - or at least catch up with its dust.......

DO NOT DISTURB!!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Well, it's Tuesday . . .
I wonder if Grumpy is going to show up . . .
Anyway . . .
Hey all . . . are we having fun?

Just dropped in here to post a link for a possible topic.
It was a link a friend sent. No political statements, lectures, or preaching . . .
. . . just someone's humorous perspective on the way things appear.

The title is Everything's Amazing; Nobody's Happy

http://barefootmeg.multiply.com/video/item/56

I thought the same type of thing would make a good subject for a song . . . just a suggestion.

KR2

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, it's Tuesday . . .
I wonder if Grumpy is going to show up . . .

Does he mean me? Grumpy, moi? Not much chance of me ever being mistaken for one of the seven dwarves, Ken - I have to duck going through doors! Oh I see what you mean....

Well let me put it this way....tensions are now running so high that if we still had the old Nuclear Clock, it'd be five past midnight and there'd be nothing left of this house but a smoking crater...unfortunately it's still standing, and I'm still busy painting etbloodycetera.
Hey all . . . are we having fun?

Silly f&%*£!% question, really.........

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Appropriate and timely video. I remember a time when I had all important phone numbers I would need memorized. These days if I lost my cell phone with built in address book I would not be able to call a friend.

stik

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

To save some time, I've listed all (I hope) the song titles submitted for week 21 . . .
good luck, good hunting . . .

Wk 21 Titles

--- Celt
Blame It On The One That Got Away
Boy (Boys) From Liverpool (Yes this was for the Week 18 Beatles assignment)
Where Did All The Money Go
Long Walk Home
Trinity

--- Stickman
You Said Yes And Now You Are Saying No
Channeling Captain Kirk
What I Can't Bear To Hear
Pardon My Intrusion
Maybe Broken Is All I know

--- Jerboa
My First Song
Tango in Paradise
A Friend I Can Do Without
Closer
Everyone Falls
Through the Storm

---Straycat.
my low is sky-high
suntrap
headwind
picking straws
heart in hand
we got pictures, we got proof
now, with your body two miles behind me (or, alternatively: six feet below me

--- Dylan Barrett
Replay my Life
The One who Believes
Takes Two to Make a Lie
Flower in the Road
Put Down that Gun
Monopoly Money
Cold Wine Sun Shine
Deer Valley Road
Rings of Wire
Black and Blue
Havana Moonlight
Hot Sauce
A couple for KR2:Whiskey Breath Blues; Ride 'em Cowboy
A couple for James: Noqkwivi Burning; Katsina Dolls

--- ContagiousJerm
Near Miss
Unified Discord
The Dissident Yes-man
The 11th Commandment
This isn't a place for dreamers
I want to move to Scranton

--- Nick
This ain't no negotiation
Want, need, desire
when today is past

---- James Toffee
_________ Groves
13 Coins
Black Satin
Borderline
Children of the Korn
Dead Again
Domino
Forbidden (Love)
Hippie Skippy
Jack in a Box
John Doe
Joker's Prayer
Manitoba
Orchids of Bangkok
Pangaea
Roscoe County
Rowling's Zoo
Shirts and Skins
Signs
Sleeper
Take a Number
Tatar Tots
Tarter Tots
Tongues on Fire
Trinkets of Eternity
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

--- fisheromen1031
"Go on as before"
"Real men don't cry" or "Real men [do] cry"
"Last year was different"
"Salty"
"Broken records"

--- David Hodge
Charley and Lily
Venice is Drowning
921 Sterling Avenue
Play It Again for Me
Should Know Better

--- Vic Lewis
"You couldn't make it up" or "You couldn't make it up, could you!"
"Get a life"
"I should take my own advice"
"It's over - or is it?"
"A new scar on my heart"
"This guitar was made for rockin'"
"I'm a city boy at heart"
"Seems like yesterday"
"Cobbled Streets and Smoky Chimneys"

--- KR2
Romantic Recession
Grits and Cornbread
Show Me the Affection
(There's Gonna Be) Trouble in Bartow Tonight
(Don't) Flame this Fire

Vic, feel free to copy and paste this in your assignment.

KR2

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 14