[Sticky] The feed-back thread - still going strong into YEAR 11

196 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
73.9 K Views
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

How to develop believable characters in a song

This is an experimental idea that I've had for a while, but haven't fully explored.

Consider using the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and identify the singer and the singee's personality types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

Too often we only see the world through our own personality type, but learning what other types value can help create more realistic characters with more authentic actions and reactions...step into someone else's shoes so to say.

First, identify your own personality type and read about what makes that type “tick”

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes1.htm

Next, choose specific types for each character in the song. Some types compliment others clash, but whichever types you choose, have them communicate and respond with the values true to that personality type.

Feedback?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Sounds interesting - I'll check the links out tomorrow. Don't think this is going to fly with the "Stream of consciousness" writers, though.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Sooooo - I decided I'm going to have to be more strict with myself. I decided I'm going to go back through ALL my songs, pick the best 20 or so, and record (or in some cases, re-record) them. I've spent a few hours going through my old songs and managed to narrow it down to.....35 SSG songs, and 7 other songs. 42 in total.

So - these are are songs I've written that are about me. They ALL mean something to me - that's why I wrote them in the first place. But they may not mean anything to someone else.....

Ah, I'm in a quandary here. How DO I pick my best songs? Do I go off the ones that have had the best feedback? If I do, some songs I really like wouldn't even get off the starting block....and some songs I wrote years ago and haven't thought about since would be in the top ten. Do I pick the ones I like the best, go with my gut instinct, and the hell with what everyone else thinks?

See, the thing is, the SSG's got me thinking outside of my usual box for the last five years or so....everything I ever wrote before that was from personal experience. Not that my SSG songs have been so far away - somehow, everything I've ever written has been personal. I'm just going through one of those periods of self-doubt - but then again, I KNOW I've written some good songs.

Should I just go ahead, record what I think are my best songs? Or should I take more notice of the feedback fronm the SSG (and, in a minor way, the other Songwriter's Forum?)

Probably, in the morning, I'll wake up, see the guitar in the living room, pick it up, turn the radio on to an oldies channel and play along....and probably, I'll always miss out. 'Cause I'm not pushy enough, and too much of a wimp to push myself forward....

And probably, years from now, I'll wonder what could have been.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Why not record 21 of them? And then do a second batch of 21? Assuming that this is going to be home recording and not at a studio or someplace, why note make Vic Volume 1 and Vic Volume 2? That way you'll have them all in case you want them and you'll also have arrangements and songs together so that if you want to go and do them in a studio (or even play them with other musicians) you have a demo to give them.

Also, having them recorded will give you the opportunity to see how you like them as well.

Yes, it will be more work, but your music, Vic, is certainly worth that effort.

And be sure to post when you're set so I can buy a copy.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

This has nothing to do with much . . .
but I thought, as songwriters, you might appreciate the lyrics . . . and the voice.

Warning: One bad word (implied but not said).
Otherwise quite harmless and very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq8wbXAR4ZQ

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Nice assignment for week 35, Vic. (I ought to be working on it now, because I've got a solid idea, and this is the first time in a while, but I had to thank you for it.) :)

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Nice assignment for week 35, Vic. (I ought to be working on it now, because I've got a solid idea, and this is the first time in a while, but I had to thank you for it.) :)

Well, thanks for the thanks - hope you get a good song out of it!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Dear All,

Here is a songwriting tool on the Internet that is in the beta testing phase so it is free for now. It might be helpful especially with the rhyming section:

http://www.lilacwriter.com/marketing/index.cfm/songwriting/home

James

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

This is an interesting web site experiment.

http://sverigesradio.se/p1/src/sing/ #

Type in your lyrics and hear your song sung by the music greats :note1: :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Thanks for sharing that with us, James.
Now I know where NOT to go again.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Thanks for sharing that with us, James.
Now I know where NOT to go again.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You've got to try it at least once.....and then once is probably enough or it's one too many times :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

With hindsight, maybe week 47's topic - write a song about a hospital - wasn't such a great idea while Marilyn was ill, I can see that maybe you'd be a little wary of the subject of illness, or even death, under the circumstances....

I did mention the idea to Marilyn last week, she seemed OK with it - "life goes on," she said, "set whatever topic you want, doesn't bother me....."

Anyway, a quick update....

Thursday Morning, she wasn't too well, managed to get an emergency appointment with her GP. Said GP did a couple of quick tests, sent for an ambulance to take her straight back to hospital again. Heart was racing, blood pressure low, blood oxygen very low. They tried to stabilise her in A&E, then on the Emergency Medical Ward - then sent her to intensive care. They managed to stabilise her there, but she was still borderline on every level, so they decided to sedate her and put her on a respirator. Since then, they've managed to get her heart rate down, blood pressure up, oxygen up and blood CO2 levels down. They're going to keep her sedated and on the respirator till the pneumonia's completely cleared up and they can run some more tests. I'll know more in the morning, I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, if anyone's got a spare prayer or two to send in Marilyn's direction, they'd be much appreciated. Not a praying man myself - normally - but I've said a few the last couple of days.

Sorry for rambling....

:) :) :)

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

In the meantime, if anyone's got a spare prayer or two to send in Marilyn's direction, they'd be much appreciated.
Will do.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Ditto

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Great assignment this week Vic. Got a chorus, just anxiously awaiting verses. (Researching quite a bit too- facts are vital in a song like this- could end up being another 'Edmund Fitzgerald' in years to come.)

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 14