Clear all

Titles

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think i'm up for the assignment this week.

Call You Later

And how about some place names. These are real places where I live.

Ocean Parkway

Mermaid Avenue

Neptune Avenue

In The Twinkling of Black Lights

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Call You Later

Loved that one. So many possibilities for stories and emotions there. I instantly wanted to know what was going on, and imagined umpteen scenarios.... Words that appear in more than one song already, but plenty of life left in the theme.

Ocean Parkway

Mermaid Avenue

Neptune Avenue

Nice place names. I think I'd go for Neptune, just because I'd have to work harder at coming up with something other than the more obvious imagery that mermaid and ocean were suggesting. With my dodgy musical ability it would probably end up as Ineptune Avenue though... :(

That brings up very, very motheaten old memories of going to a pub or club that had ultraviolet or 'black lights', and listening to music. So, for me, it would be a song about a night out, hopes of romance, looking for that feeling of eyes meeting "across a crowded room". Yes, definitely a "I knew a soon as I saw you" thing... :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

In the twinkling of black light(s) Same as Chris....I think a hallucenigenic trip to a whiter shade of pale and the traffic lights they turn blue tomorrow

Mermaid avenue made me think of a descriptive song like Tom Waits old stuff. Completely spur of the moment, top of my head, not to be taken seriously, neither verse nor chorus just an idea, and must be thought of in a gravelly growl with honky tonk piano in the background.

Turn the page turn the corner
sailors gambling away their time
and the MPs got that one
for $20 she could be mine
I ain't got no more shore leave
and there's so much more to do
that you just can't do nowhere else
but here on Mermaid avenue

Sorry if I'm not supposed to jot down these rhymes that pop in my head, but I can't really think of a better way to describe my thought.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Hi Pearl,
Call You Later

This strikes me as a waiting by the phone song.
"He said I'll call you later but phone it never rang"
Ocean Parkway

Mermaid Avenue

Neptune Avenue

It's hard not to group these all together although Ocean Parkway
has a slightly less whimsical feel as the other two.

As Nick so eloquently pointed out any of these work with a
Tom Waits treatment.

Black lights, day glow posters,Jimi,Janis,Pink Floyd,
Timothy Leary,Zig Zags, and a bottle of cheap wine.

I think I remember?

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Turn the page turn the corner
sailors gambling away their time
and the MPs got that one
for $20 she could be mine
I ain't got no more shore leave
and there's so much more to do
that you just can't do nowhere else
but here on Mermaid avenue

Wow, I absolutely loved that idea! Nice lyrics. :D

As you said, in the style of Tom Waits. His song Singpare came to mind. Full of lines like:

The captain is a one-armed dwarf,
He's throwing dice along the wharf

Count me in for a stroll down Mermaid Avenue. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi

Call You Later

This made me this of Talk To You Later, a great rocker by the Tubes, of all people. Your title has a lot of possible ways of working out and should be a great inspiration for the remaining lyrics.

Ocean Parkway

Mermaid Avenue

Neptune Avenue

Like all of them (and love Nick's lyrics) but I'd probably lean toward Neptune, simply because of the multiple possibilities. I may be wrong but I keep thinking that Mermaid Avenue was an album of Woody Guthrie covers by Billy Bragg and Wilco way back when...

I like this one a lot, too, but would probably ditch the "In" part. The Twinkling of Black Lights has got a lot going for it from spooky jazzy stuff (eerily, like Spooky) to an Elvis-style rocker. Decisions, decisions...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Call You Later
'I wish this evening would never end, 'cause I don't want to tell you that I'm not going to call you later' I'm getting dizzy just re-reading that.

Ocean Parkway
Mermaid Avenue
Neptune Avenue

I guess now that Pluto's been cut, Neptune's as far out as we can go :). I'm not really getting a feel for these, probably because I am land-locked here. I liked the idea of setting a bar on these streets, but to tie in Neptune, maybe one could talk about being tossed about by Neptune's fury as a metaphor for either being drunk, or being in a confused place. Or both.

Maybe I'm just unimaginative, but black lights don't twinkle, they just sort of push or hang or something. 'In the heavy glow of black lights?' Either way, I see this as a confused journey to discover something, but never quite arriving.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

Call You Later
Ocean Parkway
Mermaid Avenue
Neptune Avenue

Hi there:
Good idea to use place names as a prompt. My favourite is Ocean Parkway - mainly cos it hasnt got avenue in it!
The sea is always evocative for me.

In The Twinkling of Black Lights? I agree with David. My first thought was to ditch the In.
It is an intriguing concept and could open up creative possibilities for the use of other paradoxes (dead lives, solid water, empty pile). Erm, not very inspired but you get my drift.

Cheers
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

"Ocean Parkway" ...... oh yes.. a wall to sit on and look out on the sea... a grey day but high spirits.. christchurch. that's what this is for me:-)

"In The Twinkling of Black Lights"
beautiful. could be about so many things.. maybe a kaleidoscopic sort of song in here.,. showing different scenarios all in the twinkling of black lights. oh, another idea.. taking balck lights for stars which have ceased to glow.. are dead.. burnt out or whatever.. twinkling still for those people able to see them.. the melancholy.. seeing not only the bright stars but also the holes where once there was beauty. beauty in loss:-) wow.. taking off now :D

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote