I need to send some word down there.

We were on our way to Sherman Texas
Feeling immortal, that's what gets us
Like Time in a bottle, it all slips away
But we gave em a show in Natchitoches today

Operator, I need to make the call
It can't be over, this can't be all
I'm not ready to end this ride
Can you make an exception, and let me slide?

Don't you know, you can't mess with Jim?
Can't cut me down on some cosmic whim?
I have unwritten lyrics, and songs to play
It's not a good day to die today.

Operator, please do me a favor
Make the connection sooner than later
Let the ones left behind know how I love them
And that I'll be here , just hovering above them

I know I've said “I love you “in song
But its not enough to right this wrong
I know it's god's will, and he's the boss
So I guess I'll hang on this lover's cross

Operator, this is really long distance
If I close my eyes she comes back in an instant
Please ring me back home to where I belong
And let me sing just one more song.

Kathy Reichert
2/4/09

I was beginning to think I'd never come up with another lyric!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

(@davidhodge)

I read the first line and thought, "Great - another one of your songs that I won't be able to play without crying!"

Thanks...

Where are you music-wise?

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I read the first line and thought, "Great - another one of your songs that I won't be able to play without crying!"

Okay, so what did you think of the rest of the song?

No music yet. but I think some type of homage to Mr Croce would be appropriate.
I was thinking maybe something along the lines of Rapid Roy or Roller Derby Queen :D Kidding.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Okay, so what did you think of the rest of the song?

Like it a lot. For the most part, you do a fantastic job of integrating a lot of Croce's songs, through both title and lyric lines, without drawing undue attention to them. That's not easy and, with many writers, it often comes across very forced. I especially like the next to last stanza (with the "Lovers' Cross" reference) and you have to get bonus points for being the only song I can think of with "Natchitoches" in the lyric. Makes it easy to find with a search engine! :wink:

I'm already playing around with variations of "Operator" in my head. You've got to go fingerstyle with this.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Now we need one of the southern boys to tell me how to pronounce Natchitoches! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I'm already playing around with variations of "Operator" in my head. You've got to go fingerstyle with this.

I was thinking the same thing when I read this. It's funny how one word (for me anyway) brings in an entire style of song and sets the pace for the entire thing.

Nice job, really felt the lyrics when reading it. Look forward to hearing it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Kathy,
I was beginning to think I'd never come up with another lyric!
Congrats on the break through!
Good song idea....well told. It didn't happen to me, but I know someone is going to read these lyrics or be listening to this song and the phone is going to ring and FREAK THEM OUT!!! :lol: ....or at least that was the thought I had as I was finishing up the read.
James

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Now we need one of the southern boys to tell me how to pronounce Natchitoches! :shock:

I am a southurn boy but I don't know how to pronounce it. A quick search produced Natchitoches (NACK-uh-tush). I bet you already knew that. :wink:

Great writing and unique approach. Kind of creepy to think of a dead guy trying to make a phone call. :shock:

Ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I actually had no clue as to how it's pronounced, but I knew that it wasn't "nack uh doh chez , which is how I would have pronounced it!

ReplyQuote
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member

so I was talking to my dad last week and he mentioned Jim, but I just didn't know his stuff... I knew Leroy Brown, but after reading your post I had to check it out and I just spent about a half hour on youtube listening to his music, and I like it. I think you fit his down to earth story telling style yet bring your own into it. I'd like to hear it put to music!

jeremy

and I've got to get on my dad for not putting me on to Jim Croce sooner.

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who's done a Croce tribute. :D (Although you'll have to wait 'til next Thursday for mine, the engineer's doing some tweaking.) You've done a great job. Like David, I'd love to hear it put to music.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@juliaspring)

Kathy your song was written really well! He had such a soft atmosphere to his music and I believe you captured it.

Peace
Julia Spring

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Kathy

Congratulations on breaking though the writers block.
Nice job working in the song references.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Tuesday June 24th 2008.... I cant seem to come up with any lyrics lately. I'm in a bit of a slump. Not too worried though, every time this happens I come up with something FANTASTIC once the brain cells start kicking in again!

A week later you came up with "Junk Mail"....

Feb 2nd 2009...Now if I could just come up with a song.... any song, I'd be thrilled!

And a few days later you come up with "Long Distance".....Kath, d'you mind telling me which deity you're offering your prayers up to? Think I need to get in touch with him/her....

You know I usually like your songs anyway - and I loved Jim's music. He was criminally ignored this side of the pond - never had a hit. Not one. So this, for me, is almost a marriage made in heaven! I really want to hear an MP3 of this song - David's bang on the money with his fingerstyle suggestion.

Great stuff!
and you have to get bonus points for being the only song I can think of with "Natchitoches" in the lyric.

"It's just a country town but patients come
From Mobile to Moline from miles around
Nacogdoches to New Orleans
In beat-up old cars or in limousines
To meet the doctor of soul, he's got his very own thing"

From "Rock'n'roll Doctor" by Little Feat....and John Wayne mentioned "Nacogdoches" in quite a few films....almost a catch-phrase with him, like Arnie's "I'll be back." Big Jake and The Alamo spring to mind.....

I looked up "Nagodoches" on wikipedia - I already knew the above facts,- but not the correct spelling! - even though they get mentioned there. So does the fact that Nacogdoches and Natchitoches are sister cities....which I didn't know. Close, though - close enough for rock'n'roll?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@paperdice)

aww its sad

ReplyQuote