Wk 35--Adam West

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

This was a product of "title week" back in 2005. Don't think I ever posted the whole song, just the chorus. Thanks to whoever provided the great title--originally, "Adam West Will Always Be Batman." Slowplay, maybe, since I noticed he posted a song by the same title a few weeks ago. Anyway, I thought this fit the theme. So....

Adam West
©2005 J. A. Kovak

You spend so much time looking for ways
To turn me into the man you want me to be
Never thinking it's enough for us
To agree to disagree

Restless nights and endless days
Never happy with what you see
Trying so hard to rearrange
The only thing I know how to be

You can put a different spin on it
To make yourself seem right
You can dress it up all pretty and nice
In those skirts you wear so tight
But no matter how many ways you try
To change me, baby, you'll see
That Adam West will always be
Batman to me

Each time you find more interesting ways
To make me think like you
Each time you waste more interesting days
Inventing something new

Don't you realize by now
All the trouble you go through
Will never be enough
To change my point of view

You can put a different spin on it
To make yourself seem right
But no matter how many ways you try
Batman to me....

(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Hey Joe,

Yup, I get to take credit for the original title. I was pretty sure when I posted it back in '05, that if anyone was going to tackle it, it would be you :).

As always, there are some great lines in here.
Trying so hard to rearrange
The only thing I know how to be

The tension of the whole song comes across in those two lines.
Each time you waste more interesting days

This one is, well, interesting, and it is mysterious, but not in a distracting way.

My main problem is that it all seems a bit melodramatic when all she is doing is trying to convince you that Keaton or others are the real Batman. If I remember correctly, at the time, you wanted it to be a metaphor for a whole outlook on life, and that's fine. At the time I though maybe I was just jealous :oops: because you got to do a song to my title, but I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it two years after the fact. On the other hand, melodrama and wackiness is what the 60's Batman was all about, so maybe its a perfect fit? And either way, it is a very unique metaphor, and deserved kudos.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks SP. Yes, it is a metaphor. I guess it doesn't seem melodramatic to me because when I sing it it's light and upbeat. I also tend to use humor in uncomfortable situations. And love and relationships--well sometimes that's as uncomfortable as it gets. Anyway, thanks for reading and taking time to comment. And again, thanks for the great theme.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Every time you find more interesting ways to fulfil the week's assignment/topic.....

I can see how this fits the topic, and I can see how it's metaphorical - but maybe you need to be a little more literal.

"But no matter how many ways you try
Batman to me"

This part doesn't work for me - I know it's a statement of intent, but it seems to come way out of left-field (to use the US term) and doesn't really fit.

"But no matter how many ways you try,
To change me, baby, you'll see,
No matter who you think I am,
I'm still here inside of me......."

might work a little better - you'd be getting across the essential point of the song then, that you're YOU and you aren't going to change.....

I hate picking faults in a song like this, I really try and look for the good points in every song- and there are a lot of good points here, but I honestly feel those two lines are just weaker than the rest. They change the focus of the song entirely.BUT - as always, that's just one man's opinion. I just feel Adam West and Batman, metaphorically or not, are irrelevant to the song as a whole.

You wouldn't want me to lie to you, would you? This is my honest opinion.....

And isn't it weird - every time you start a new relationship with a woman, first of all she wouldn't change a thing - then after a while haircuts are brought up - then, those old jeans you wear come under scrutiny - then it's the guitars, why do you need more than one? - then it's a case of you need more shirts (what's wrong with my T-shirts?) - then "You should wear a suit more often".....and so it escalates.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi Joe,

good song I can see how you might sing this song in a slightly humorous way. There is only one piece that I don't quite understand, this:

what have the skirts go to do with it ?

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, thanks, Guys.

Vic, no, of course I don't want you to lie.

This song was written in 2005 for the title Adam West Will Always Be Batman. I thought it was a pretty out there title, which is what I loved about it, and rather than write a literal song about Batman, I thought I would use it as a metaphor. I do this a lot in my writing--not just songs. It's simply a metaphor for--"I'm set in my ways and there's nothing you can do that will make me change." It was just a less cliche, and so I thought anyway, a more interesting way to say the same thing.

Paul, the skirts line refers to her finding different ways to manipulate--the most common one, using her sex appeal.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and critique. Hope you're all having a super weekend.

Joe

ReplyQuote