WK 47 - Round and Round + MP3

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=746310

I think it can be knocked about and turned into something with more energy once the juices are flowing properly.

It's about a 'sad' couple

Round and Round

Round and round it's all the same
what goes around comes round again
like my dear old mum explained
round and round it's all the same

there's no need to feel so bad
well it's only John's first gig
he'll probably feel sick to know
we were in the audience front row
might have messed the best chance he's had
so there's no need to feel so bad

let's just stick to what we know
sofa land, variety shows
nice to be comfortable nice to be nice
take the little Welshman's advice
we can watch life come and watch it go
let's just stick to what we know

You don't have to care about it
we're invisible to them
and it's feasible that when the aid gets through
they'll not even share it then
so you don't have to care about it

Fun is overdone
hyped up by the market men
I tried that yoghurt and that cereal
and neither made my big toes twirl
I don't think I'm the only one
feeling fun is overdone

you don't have to stay the night
like we said we're both free agents, right?
don't misread the trail of crumbs I left
the lighting, flowers and Wrigleys breath
like we said we're both free agents, right?
and you don't have to stay the night

Round and round it's all the same
what goes around comes round again
like my dear old mum explained
round and round it's all the same

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Ray,

I think it's high time that you were given a handicap here - made to sing underwater, and play the guitar upside or something.... :wink:

Good strong clear playing, singing and recording as usual. (Could I borrow your abilties while you sleep? Different time zone here - you wouldn't miss them...)

I liked the way you used the 'round and round' thing as both a theme and a way to bring in the repeat line that the assignment called for. I also liked the individual verses as stand-alone images - "let's just stick to what we know
sofa land, variety shows" was great. Not sure who the Little Welshman" is, but it's not necessary to get every reference, I can image a backstory for that. The verse about making comfortable excuses for not caring enough about the latest world disaster struck home too, as did the "you don't have to stay overnight" verse (liked the Wrigleys' breath. :) )

The overall feeling reminded me a bit of the Pink Floyd line "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...". As you said, knock it about a bit more - maybe if the sofa land verse went first it could act to add some general scene setting clues(?) - or perhaps that was just the verse at which I 'got' the overall idea. I guess each listener gets a slightly different message from any song. Seemed like another strong song for your kitbag though.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Chris - thank you for your very generous encouragement again.
Not sure who the Little Welshman" is
Dylan Thomas from Under Milkwood I have the audio book versions with narration by Richard Burton and Anthony Hopkins and play them regularly - one of my all time favourite pieces of writing with beautiful observations and phrases - don't know if you know it, but if not, buy it - you won't regret it. "It is night, starless and bible-black...." - and you're captured - wonderful!!!!!

It comes from a short conversation between two 'tidy wives' / gossiping 'curtain-twitchers'. "Nice to be comfortable, nice to be nice".
The overall feeling reminded me a bit of the Pink Floyd line "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...".

I'm not aware of that line, not being a Floyd fan but that's a nod to this awesome line by another favourite author.

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them

Henry David Thoreau

If ever there was a wake-up call for the souls of us middle-aged song writing aspirants - that's it!

Thanks again :)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Not sure who the Little Welshman" is
Dylan Thomas from Under Milkwood I have the audio book versions with narration by Richard Burton and Anthony Hopkins and play them regularly - one of my all time favourite pieces of writing with beautiful observations and phrases - don't know if you know it, but if not, buy it - you won't regret it. "It is night, starless and bible-black...." - and you're captured - wonderful!!!!!

It comes from a short conversation between two 'tidy wives' / gossiping 'curtain-twitchers'. "Nice to be comfortable, nice to be nice".

OOPS! :oops:

Should've spotted that..... I've carted the book round for nearly 30 years.... I've got the Anthony Hopkins version on tape too. And I remember hearing the wonderful Burton one as a youngster. I agree - one of the all time best pieces of writing in the English language. Will I ever meet Polly Garter now??....sigh... Just dug out the book again. Never tire of re-reading it.

[Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them
Henry David Thoreau

I've got Walden tucked away somewhere too - the book that comes from. I don't think I ever finished it. Did I even start it? Maybe it's time to get that out again as well. Yep, there it is - suspiciously unthumbed... better add that to the bedside table too. Geez, it's edjercational 'round ere innit?? :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Not sure if you'd have heard of him but we have a young songwriter here called Damon Albarn. He was critical of his efforts on an early best-selling album, saying at that time he wasn't reading enough. I thought that a mature statement from a young pop idol.

These days I always have a notebook with me when I'm reading, to jot down good lines, ideas and the ideas it generates. I try not to directly lift anything unless it's clearly a reference or quote but if I don't write things down, my sieve-of-a-brain forgets them. I find it excruciatingly difficult to translate general ideas into details and often belt down a stream of "un' consciousness stuff and knock it about later.

I'd be interested to know where you're imagery for Clean Getaway came from, particularly the school events - is it really Johnny Cash cliches?

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Not sure if you'd have heard of him but we have a young songwriter here called Damon Albarn. He was critical of his efforts on an early best-selling album, saying at that time he wasn't reading enough. I thought that a mature statement from a young pop idol.

Don't know him, but I'll keep an eye out.
These days I always have a notebook with me when I'm reading, to jot down good lines, ideas and the ideas it generates. I try not to directly lift anything unless it's clearly a reference or quote but if I don't write things down, my sieve-of-a-brain forgets them. I find it excruciatingly difficult to translate general ideas into details and often belt down a stream of "un' consciousness stuff and knock it about later.

"Immature poets immitate; mature poets steal" T.S. Eliot :twisted:

I'm quite happy to borrow ideas - we do it unsconsciously anyway. Like you, I try not to steal lines or phrases directly though. Last week I bowed to the inevitable and bought a very small pocket digital recorder. I can now play a quick strumming pattern or chord progression, talk down bits of lyrics, shopping lists, or whatever I'm likely to forget (which is just about everything these days... ). Very handy. Has the odd side effect though. I was sitting in a doctor's waiting room yesterday and it started talking at me from my pocket.... :oops: took me a while to work out what it was! :roll:
I'd be interested to know where you're imagery for Clean Getaway came from, particularly the school events - is it really Johnny Cash cliches?

11 years at British boarding schools. :shock:

Somewhat exaggerated, but we did get beaten with a razor strap/strop a cane and various other objects...

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Don't know him, but I'll keep an eye out.

He was the front man for the band Blur and now Gorillaz. A fine musician and prolific writer with an ear for original projects who wrote a lot of comedy lines - a big fan of Ray Davies (Kinks).

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

He was the front man for the band Blur and now Gorillaz. A fine musician and prolific writer with an ear for original projects who wrote a lot of comedy lines - a big fan of Ray Davies (Kinks).

Thanks Ray.

Ray Davies I've heard of. We had a Kinks album back in the days of big vinyl LPs. I don't know Blur or Gorillaz, but then I've not paid much attention to TV or radio for a decade or two. I guess we all have gaps in our musical education. For instance, I believe that I'm one of the few people on the planet who have not yet heard a song or seen a video clip from either The Spice Girls or Britney Spears. However, I gather that this would not widely be viewed as a serious disadvantage. :wink:

Damon Albarn sound worth a listen though. Maybe it's time I dusted off the old ear trumpet and Googled up a few bands outside my usual range...

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

wow. many great references in one place:-)

first of all i thought your singing reminded me of neil young a bit. huge compliment :D
secondly, i admire dylan thomas and have read "under milkwood". only once so far, i admit. and i didn't get the reference first, either :wink: but really, loads of beautiful phrases in that book... "sunhoneyed cobbles of the humming street".. "the night sucks out her soul and spits it into the sky".. and also made me smile a lot.
and thirdly, i know damon albarn :) although i like damien rice and damien jurado better. not that there was any connection between the names though :D

and it is a 'sad' song.... i like it.

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Ray,

I haven't commented on one of your songs yet - not through lack of interest, just shortage of time. But this is pretty classy, mate.....I'm glad you joined the SSG, you're the kick up the backside some of us needed! (well - me, anyway! after a pretty prolific couple of years or so, I'm finding it hard recently to find inspiration.)

This is a very well put together song....I usually try and think of a comparison, you know, hmmm you've got a voice that reminds me of X, a guitar style that reminds me of Y.....this sounds fresh and original. You've got a good strong voice, a fairly distinctive guitar style, and a good ear for a melody.

Any fan of Dylan Thomas is automatically on my bonus points list - and treble points for the Thoreau quote, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them....." not me, I want to get mine recorded - doesn't matter if no-one ever buys them or even listens, I'll know I tried.....

Makes me want to "rage, rage against the dying of the light......."

Must get off my backside next week......

Good stuff, mate! Looking forward to reading and hearing more.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote