Clear all

WK 49 Song Titles

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I appear to be well behind everyone else in reading this week's challenge so I'll 'concertina' my comments into this one if that's Ok.

1. Bob - sorry to hear you're going. I add my thanks to those of more long standing here and wish you all the very best with your projects.

2. WK49 - I've never written a song starting with a title, so this is another good stretch for me.

3. With twenty already listed I don't have time to comment on all so if it's OK I'll make a choice from each and add mine.

1. Celt - Chartreuse - intriguing, sounds like a colour, a girl, a French location, a mood - a spy novel. BTW Reservoir Road reminds me of Telegraph Road by Dire Straits especially as it is set by a lake.

2. D.Hodge - People Full Of Holes - a city full of activity, busy-ness, recreation and loneliness.

3. Chris C - Annie's Couch - wanting to me mothered, nostalgia, or a place where friends go - definitely warm and positive. Songs brought to mind Up On Cripple Creek and Sisotowbell Lane

4. Citizen Noir - Red On Red - embarrassment at failing to stop at the lights or being coy in the presence of an auburn date - sure there's more, it's a good title. Strangely enough I have my iTunes on shuffle at the moment and Sad Old Red by Simply Red has just started (spooky). By the way New Blonde made me think of John Lennon's Epiphone which had all the sunburst varnish taken off to make it 'blonde'. Just me being a guitar geek I guess :wink:

5. Katreich - A Critical Error - this can be turned to another relationship song or a situation, memory of a bad decision, something political etc.

If I had to pick one now I'd go for Chartreuse

Here's mine anyway

Time I Was Going
Taking A Short Cut
The Siren's Call
Passion Play
None But The Simple

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

(@davidhodge)

Hi Ray

I like all your titles and actually found myself toying with the idea of putting them all into a lyric...

Time I Was Going

Lots of different ways of dealing with this, from Kathy's Clean Getaway to simply a statement on growing up or growing old.

Taking A Short Cut

I'm hearing this as a rockabilly number, possibly even and I'm not sure why as I've not been listening to any lately. Maybe that's why... Could nicely become a "got to see my baby again..." sort of thing.

The Siren's Call

This one intrigues me because it could be an interest narrative on two literal levels. There are a lot of people who are attracted to accidents and fires and hearing a literal siren is a "Siren's call" to them. Lot of possibilities for word play and twists...

Passion Play

Likewise here. Trick would be on coming up with something that is more of a twist than usual.

None But The Simple

This could be my theme song! :wink: Again, you've got a good choice here between a lot of things that could be "simple," ranging from people to the answers themselves.

This is turning out to be a very fun week!

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Ray,
Time I Was Going

This could be anything from a classic break up song to
a person nearing the end of life to just the daily routine.
Taking A Short Cut

A simple driving song or a "Short Cut" to love?
The Siren's Call

This one intrigues me because it could be an interest narrative on two literal levels. There are a lot of people who are attracted to accidents and fires and hearing a literal siren is a "Siren's call" to them. Lot of possibilities for word play and twists...

I took it more as a seafarer tune but David makes a very good point.
This could make a great tribute to our Police or Fire Fighters.
Maybe a 9/11 song.
Passion Play

It's been done but still a good title if someone can find a new approach.
None But The Simple

Didn't we do this assignment a few weeks ago?
Still it works. Reminds me of Skynard's Simple Man

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Here's mine anyway

Time I Was Going
Taking A Short Cut
The Siren's Call
Passion Play
None But The Simple

Time I Was Going The first thing that jumped out at me was a story about a person thinking back on his/her travels. A reminiscent kind of soliloquy

Taking A Short Cut - To me, this song would be about getting straight to someone's heart.

The Siren's Call - Old Germany.

Passion Play - Definately NOT a love song. This is about someone who give 200% into everything. A real action freak.

None But Simple - I immeadiately started thinking about how people speak when the talk about the past. How "Simple things were..." But in reality, times were hard. They did not have the luxuries of today.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Time I Was Going

I'm hearing a first date story here. They've had a wonderful evening but it really is geting late and he's got to make the right noises.... but of course he's hoping she'll persuade him otherwise. So maybe he'll go in for a coffee.... an then he'll get to the point (maybe every chorus) where he offers again, but they end up kissing instead, and... well, take it wherever... I see it as gently romantic rather than raunchy.

Taking A Short Cut

Much more up tempo. Something fast and dangerous. Remember the Minis making a getaway across the rooftops in that movie.. was it The Italian Job?? That sort of feeling.

The Siren's Call

I have friends who drive ambulances, so I'm thinking along the lines of rescues too. Lots of possible angles - somebody waiting for the vehicle(s) to arrive? Perhaps ride with the crew? I did get a flash of the more Wagnerian or nautical kind of siren, but it didn't appeal as much.

None But The Simple

"The Simple" is too tricky a phrase for me to warm to. It sounds too much like a put down. The "None But The..." format sounded a bit heavy handed too. Much preferred the others.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Isn't this interesting? Simple words and phrases and all read differently. A s Chris said somewhere else, an edjercashion :lol:

The Siren I had in mind was the Greek myth - something tantalising, that lures off course
None But The Simple

"The Simple" is too tricky a phrase for me to warm to. It sounds too much like a put down. The "None But The..." format sounded a bit heavy handed too. Much preferred the others. Chris

Rightly identified - my idea was along the lines of Steely Dan's Only A Fool Would Say That

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

Time I Was Going
Taking A Short Cut
The Siren's Call
Passion Play
None But The Simple

Hi. My comments are based on what first came to mind rather than careful thought. So they will probably reveal more about me than they do the titles!

Time I Was Going
- About ending a relationship

Taking A Short Cut
- Getting lost (hmm - could also be about the end of a relationship then :) )

The Siren's Call
- why you fell for the other woman (and therefore are breaking up with current fling)

Passion Play
- Ditto

None But The Simple
- Ah, not about relationships. For some reason I can only think about uncomplimentary things. Ie 'Simple', as in simple- minded. Using it in a verse might lead to tricky rhyming challenges. (Pimple, dimple).

I hope my contribution is in the spirit of the SSG.
Told you it would tell you more about me!

Ola
PS: Have bin happily married for years and am not thinking of leaving in case u were wondering. :D

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

I've never written a song starting with a title, so this is another good stretch for me.

Looking at all the inspired ideas generated by the titles, I'd say that this is probably quite a good way to go about writing a song. Particularly on those days when inspiration is elusive.
Does anybody start this way as a matter of course I wonder?

Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Hi Ray

Time I was going - could be my swansong for leading SSG for the last few years

Taking A Short Cut - why? What's the purpose why do you need to get there faster? What's waiting for you, what will you miss?

The Siren's Call - I like the police/firefighter idea here I can't get it out of my head now

Passion Play - literally just that, pure passion played out in a heartbeat, eyes across a crowded room fell in then love fell out, tempestuous and red and purple are the colours I get here

None but the simple - these are the people who understand the important things in life

Good stuff

Bob :wink:

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi Ray,

Time I Was Going
Blues Blues Blues

Taking A Short Cut
Acoustic country

The Siren's Call
I can hear this as a gutsy electric number

Passion Play
I think this is a good title and gives a lot of scope, from religious to exactly the opposite.

None But The Simple
lots of scope here too

cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hey ray,

i really like "None But The Simple".
makes me think of idealist don quixottes... simple as in good-hearted and still a negative feel to it.. like going the 'right' way but never getting anywhere.
love the picture it paints in my head. i like sepia colours.

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote