Clear all

Wk 49 Titles. Is this seat taken? . . .

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

. . . If not I hope you dont mind if I join you. I am a newbie (a description I have grudgingly accepted because of my greying hair :wink: ) I am slowly exploring the forums and came across this one which seems like a great idea - when my fingers don't seem to be working I can give the brain a workout instead.
My internet connection is slow so - I usually do the forums while practising my scales & I can go all the way up and down the fretboard in the time it takes a page to load! It may take a while to contribute my comments on others but I will do my bit.

Meanwhile I submit the following for comment:

- The Way I See It
- How much does a Megabyte weigh?
- Its No Contest
- Valley of Shadows

It occurred to me that the title of my post might make a good song title (IS this seat taken) but its probably been used already.

Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

. . . If not I hope you dont mind if I join you. I am a newbie (a description I have grudgingly accepted because of my greying hair :wink: ) I am slowly exploring the forums and came across this one which seems like a great idea - when my fingers don't seem to be working I can give the brain a workout instead.

Hi newb! :P Being a 'senior newbie' can be a bit frustrating at times. You're already used to being good at some other stuff, but that darned guitar cares nothing for reputations or past achievements.... it's back to Kindergarten, whether we like it or not. :shock: I started guitar at 58, so I know what you mean. Good to see you at the SSG. Hope to see more from you.

The Way I See It

That got me in. Being incurably nosy, I immediately wanted to know what you were talking about, and what your angle or opnion was. It sounded like it would have plenty of opportunities for twists or tensions.

-How much does a Megabyte weigh?

:D Should be a nice quirky song in that one for sure. I'd give you extra points if you could work in a scene where a frustrated technophobe violently and imaginatively destroys a VCR after failing to comprehend the 173 page manual on how to program it. :twisted:

Its No Contest

First impressions were an Eric Clapton instrumental (maybe as "No Contest" without the "Its"??) But it could go all sorts of ways. Something Springsteeny about street racing perhaps? Even a love ballad with the singer telling his partner that she's his number one.

Valley of Shadows

I'd be surprised if this title hasn't been used before. Could be introspective, Gothic, religious, or go in all sorts of directions. Always room for another take on good themes though.
It occurred to me that the title of my post might make a good song title (IS this seat taken) but its probably been used already.

Romantic ballad Crosby/Sinatra style maybe? FInding a title that's both strong and original is really quite difficult. I Googled some of my first thoughts and found they'd been done before. For instance, I thought of Fogbound, but someone had done it already - but nothing like what I had in mind, either lyrically or musically.

It doesn't have to matter if you have a similar title (or even identical) as long as the song is different. I saw a music quiz program a few weeks ago and one of the panelists had been in a well known band. They had a success with a song he'd written that had the same title as one by George Harrison. According to him, he actually met George later and apologised for pinching his song title. Apparently George replied "That's OK man, I stole it off somebody else anyway...." :wink:

The "been used already" theme reminded me of a reputed letter from a publisher to an author who had submitted a book draft:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your book submission. We thought it was both good and original. However, the parts that were good were not original, and the parts that were original were not good. We are therefore returning your manuscript.... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Welcome to SSG Montezuma,
The Way I See It

This could be a relationship song or maybe something more political.
How much does a Megabyte weigh?

AS Chris said Quirky. Could be fun if written from the point of
view of the computer illiterate. (Like Me)
Its No Contest

For some reason I'm seeing this as an '80s hair band ballad.
Valley of Shadows

Many ways to go with this one Gothic Metal, Spiritual or Gospel. I like what Chris
had to say about a Romantic Ballad. This could also be one of those songs where the
Title never actually appears in the song.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I like valley of shadows, you could write it from the perspective of "but I've got a lot of evil to fear" rather than I shall fear no evil

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Welcome Ola,

Pull up a seat because there's always room for one more here. Glad to see you've popped in for a visit and I hope you make your stay an extended one.

Let's see...

The Way I See It

I think this might be a great duet between the sexes. Two points of view, two singers. That could be a lot of fun!

How Much does a Megabyte weigh?

This one doesn't do all that much for me. Probably because a lot of Karen's students (my girlfriend / partner teaches piano) play the "Woodchuck Song" and I'm constantly wondering how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood... Sad stuff.

It's No Contest

I hear this as a romantic ballad of reassurance. People need that sometimes.

Valley of Shadows

Way too many possibilities. Around where John and I live one constantly sees patches of shadows flitting on the valleys when looking from the nearby hills. It's odd seeing patches of green (now red, yellow and orange as well) turning almost completely black for a moment. Not sure I could capture it in song but it's a strong visual.

Looking forward to more of your material.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The Way I See It

I think this might be a great duet between the sexes. Two points of view, two singers. That could be a lot of fun!

Anybody remember Maurice Chevalier and Hermione Gingold singing "I Remember it Well"? Wasn't it the film of the musical Gigi?

Two oldies reminiscing about their courting days, and both recalling the details quite differently? Absolutely charming. Are you still allowed to do 'charming' these days, or is it considered too twee now?

You'd probably need to put a bit more needle into it now, but I like David's idea of a duet. Could be funny, sizzling, aggro, or all sorts of things... 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member

Hi :lol:

I actually like "Is This Seat Taken?"

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Your comments have already got me filling out a few verses. Many had the same thoughts as I did .. .

The Way I See It
Indeed a relationship thing. I thought of it because a friend had just inadvertently pissed me off & when I told her, she saw the whole thing differently. (do you need more detail Chris :) )I hadnt thought of how i'd develop it, David suggests a duet - nice idea.

Yes - this one is meant to be quirky/funny about a techno-newbie

Its No Contest
That one just came into my head. I then thought, as Chris suggested, of a ballad to a loved one.

Valley of Shadows
Yes, kind of dark. However, there is beauty potential in it. The inspiration was exactly as David describes. A lush green valley with swathes disappearing into deep shadows. Beautiful but spooky too. So I thought the song could be a kind of heavy story with an uplifting end or chorus. Style? Not sure, I kinda like John's suggestion of spiritual.

Oh, & Is this seat taken? - First meeting, love affair about to bloom.

Cheers
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

a description I have grudgingly accepted because of my greying hair

hah, some of us havent got any hair to go grey :lol:

The Way I See It
This is a good title gives plenty of scope, you could write anything here, good stuff

This one sounds like a Ray Stevens song like "The Streak" to me

Its No Contest
Relationship type of song here

Valley of Shadows
A darker type of song here perhaps with a message.

cheeers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Hi Ola

The Way I See It - immediately speaks to me of a kind of protest song about an awful lot of things - sanitised news coverage, dumb down tv, political mismanagement - the list goes on and becomes even more Dylanesque

Is This Seat Taken - a great opening line which could go in a lot of different directions - even if you weren't going to I'm including it as a title

Valley Of Shadows - spooky song time with this one or a retrospective of someone's life

How Much Does a Megabyte Weigh - being an IT professional I'd rather not answer that

It's no contest - again fairly wide interpretations but immediate reaction is to think of putting someone on a pedestal

Good Stuff lots to work with here

Bob :wink:

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Is This Seat Taken?
It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship that lasted the length of the bus ride.

The Way I See It
I'm either thinking political statement or failed pick-up line "The way I see it, you're not getting any younger..."

If you guessed that a megabyte weighs one million bytes, you'd be close ( it's actually 1,048,576 bytes, trust me ). Anyway, just to put a different slant on this one, maybe it could be about the issues that we face in the facebook age, like: Who has access to my private data and what are they doing with it? When will those compromising college photos surface. How do you stop a lie that beams its way across the world in seconds? Who controls what I can watch?

Its No Contest
I liked the suggestion to go with 'No Contest'. This could be a re-affirmation of affection in the face of life seeking to tear a couple apart.

Valley of Shadows
I'd avoid going the religious route on this one, since it's too obvious ( "the valley of the shadow of doubt" has been used a lot in songs and poetry since it was written 3000 years ago ). Based on your title though, I think you probably were going another way anyway. I like the idea of using this as a metaphor for examining right and wrong in a relativistic age, or even right and wrong in a confused mind when the outcome of all options is ambiguous.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The Way I See It - immediately speaks to me of a kind of protest song about an awful lot of things - sanitised news coverage, dumb down tv, political mismanagement - the list goes on and becomes even more Dylanesque
Hi,
Thanks Bob. I kind of got stuck on the relationship angle but the political/protest angle is a good idea - very fertile ground. I have an activist mentality so there is plenty I feel strong enough to write about, politically (eg the environment).

Paul - I can see some grey hairs in your beard though (or is that not you!).
Ill try to have a listen to the Ray Stevens song to get some ideas.

Slowplay, This could get technical (and over my head) but the key word is weigh so 1048576 bytes still doesn't answer the question!

Nice suggestion about the bus & the relationship ending (at the last stop?). I had a nightclub in mind but a bus ride gives it potential for a twist, if the lyrics dont mention that the seat in question is on a bus until the end of the song.

Cheers Guys
Ola

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hey:-)
you'll like SSG, i'm sure.
"is this seat taken..?" sounds perfectly workable to me. even if it should have been taken before.. you can not always avoid that, can you? and the song that comes out of it could be very different. slow.. patient.. polite.. maybe long-winded talking leading up to that question if the seat is taken already.. the question being like .. by the way.. now that i've introduced myself.. is the seat taken?

good writing.
cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote