Clear all

wk14

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok... I tried an alternate path on this one and ended up hating myself for it. I really like Buddy Holly's music - ("Everyday" is a personal fav) - but I'm just a little too young, most of my generation are more familiar with Don Maclean's tribute. His death to me is as distant as Napolean's defeat at Waterloo. So I decided to focus instead on the death of the most influential musician of my generation, Kurt Cobain. I was in high school when he committed suicide, and so it held a lot more meaning for me. Unfortunately, as I worked on this project, I came to realize how incredibly depressing everything he did was and how bleak teens were during that era. So after writing the song I just decided I didn't even want to record it. Still, in the interests of posting my assignment:

self medicate

…you, you, you…

sitting with the shades closed tight
afternoon sun can feel like night
destroyed yourself with all your might
that day i cried but it's alright

medicate, don't think about me
or anyone else, be what you wanna be
forget why you taste, forget how to smile
for me the pain will be gone in little awhile

…you, you, you…

you weren't a star but a meteor
burned so strong magnesium core
sang your pain and i agreed
medicate yourself, it's self-therapy

medicate yourself, don't think about me
or anyone else, be what you wanna be
forget why you taste, forget how to smile
for me the pain will be gone in awhile

you helped us to cope ‘cause we weren't alone
but you left without hope, and it's all so inane
you left us empty, made it feel like rape
was that all you had? did you have to escape

those that were left behind
i now see that we could find
a better song, and a hope that lasts
and all your students will surpass
you have chosen death's dark sting
but we will fly on tomorrow's wings

… you

Looking forward to reading some more inspiring posts!

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

OK, now I'm depressed.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Jeremy,

Dark for sure!...One bright spot was the drummer from Nirvana came out of the shadows and formed the Foo Fighters! :D

...but that probably won't be anything to fit into this song....and Wierd Al got a parody :? ...not a help...

Well, it is what it is.....at least you were stretched and got a song up for the week!

James

PS Just for experiment's sake, what if you said the opposite of everything you wrote?...you might end up with a sweet bubble gum pop song :roll: ...I actually try that sometimes when I get stuck in a rut.

ReplyQuote
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

One bright spot was the drummer from Nirvana came out of the shadows and formed the Foo Fighters!

nice point - i thought about David Grohl quite a bit this week actually, and was part of what I was getting out in the end
those that were left behind
i now see that we could find
a better song

his music is so much more uplifting and meaningful and has won (I just checked) three best rock album grammy's.

and the bubble gum pop song was a nice suggestion, but I've spent too much time on this one, I think. i did think of it though (didn't use the word "bubble gum" and never "pop" :shock: ) but i was thinking a song contrasting how its better to go down in an airplane that in an OD - more how i have more love for the guys that didn't destroy themselves.

jeremy

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm with Kenrogers2 ...... but I do think it's good. :wink: I was too young to remember the crash as well, although I think I'm a little older than you are. :lol: I was born the end of the next year. I do remember the movie "The Buddy Holly Story" though, as that was out when I was in college and it did have an impact on me. I was familiar with the American Pie song but didn't really know anything about any of these musicians. I have also seen La Bamba, don't think there will be a JP Richardson movie anytime soon though. That said I do have a fair number of Nirvana CD's as well.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote