This is RUF and Tumble, we don't mumble
It's laughing fits not “Fuck me!” or “Sod this!”
A “shiny happy people” defence, not “Two hands!”
Offence and marking's a line dance, so come on

RUF and tumble, we don't mumble
It's laughing fits or grass-stained lips
So come on, kids
The disc is in

Erm.. so just in case: RUF is a Frisbee team I played with for a while so there's a few terms in here that were common currency among us (like the stack, cutting, stall out, the games ninja & gibbon, the way you'd say "what rhymes with nylon?" if you saw someone lying on the gorund before everyone cheerfully piled on top of the person.. and Ruf and Tumble is the name of their tournament). Please excuse any excess nostalgia in the lyrics :lol:
To really work as a cheer-on chant thing it'd probably need some cutting so it'd be easier to remember etc. but I couldn't decide what to cut just now.
Also, the "grass-stained lip" might better be "grass-stained fibs" or "losing it"? :?

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Straycat,

I like it :mrgreen:

I immediately thought of a kids' song because in the grammar book we use at school, there are two characters named Ruff and Tumble. Look on page 2 of this link:

http://www.oupe.es/es/ELT/Primary/thegrammarlab/Recursos%20Destacados/0-19-433019-2-a.pdf

I like "grass-stained lip"....because I didn't know what "gits" was and it had a different meaning than "lips" when I looked it up http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Gits

The explanation helps and makes sense when I read through it again.

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

Interesting rhythm and rhymes. If your audience is frisbee players/fans, the chant works! Not being very familiar with these games, when I first read 'rough and tumble" images of rugby or maybe Australian football popped in my head, but hey they were images and that is the point.
Andy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi!

Aww, your grammar book was way cooler than ours! Love Ruff and Tumble! Their character traits sort of fit the song, too (enthusiastic & squirrel-like -- our team's name used to be Roehampton University Flying Squirrels! haha, and having silly ideas all the time.. silly in the best sense of the word. and friendly & loyal. )

About "lip" and "git"- they're supposed to have different meanings, I thought of the respective lines as a choice of alternative behaviours - you can either laugh about stuff (also when it goes wrong) OR be a sulking git. And then you cna either laugh OR have grass-stained lips (as in, maybe, pulling at the grass instead of at your hair and chewing it scornfully because you don't know what else to do with your anger). Might prefer "grass-stained fibs" after all. Hmm. So I just wanted to say whereas some teams are highly competitive (to the point of angrily shouting at each other all through a match), RUF was more about having fun as well.

:lol: I suppose football and especially rugby would be very much about rough-and-tumble, tackling and all!

Thanks for your input, Andy and James!
Cheers,
strycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote