Clear all

Y12 W12

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@glprattimages)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've never posted any of my work on here before. But this weeks topic intrigued me so I thought I would give it a try. Here's a tribute to both Thatcher and Reagan.
The Eagle, Lion, And the Bear
The Eagle soared
as the Lion roared
and as they joined together
the great Bear trembled with fear
and the eagle proclaimed
We must bring the evil empire to an end
Tear down the Wall
became the battle cry
in a Cold War of words
that caused the World
to collectively sigh
as we all waited in fear
for the missiles to fly
And the wall came down
crashing to the ground
with a thunderous sound
as Hasselhoff sang
and to the Bear
the World proclaimed
Auf Weidersehen

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi, welcome to GN, and especially to the SSG - always nice to see new a new face!

Glad to see you tidied this up up from the original post....reads much better now.

Instantly recognisable imagery, the only thing I'm not sure of is the Hasselhoff reference...I know he was a big star musically on mainland Europe back then, but here in the UK he was known for Knight Rider and Baywatch, full stop. Wondering if there's a particular Hoff song that's associated with the fall of the Berlin Wall?

One thing I don't get from the lyrics is an idea of what you're planning musically - any pointers? Maybe power-ballad style - something along the lines of the Scorpions' "Wind Of Change" - might fit that particular era, but hey, your song, your call!

Tiny quibble - Eagle, Lion, and Bear, for me, instantly call to mind America, Britain and Russia, or more properly the old communist USSR. Bearing in mind that the song's about the end of the cold war, shouldn't the last line use the Russian equivalent (NB I'm REALLY not sure of the spelling here....) "Dass Vidanya?"

Any way, good start, good luck with your writing, and keep 'em coming!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@glprattimages)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for the warm welcome and the input! To answer your questions, Hasslehoff performed at the Wall the day it came down. I used auf Weidersehen because of the location of the wall and its demise was symbolic of all eastern bloc countries ( in particular East Germany) saying goodbye to Soviet rule. Plus it somewhat rhymes with proclaimed. As far as the musical style, I always have two or three versions running through my head when I write lyrics. My musical tastes and influences range from classical to metal. When I jotted this down on paper, I had the Scorpions running through my head. But I can also hear an Eagles southern rock vibe. I'm not sure where I will go with it just yet.

ReplyQuote