Y12 W20 - This Week's Topic.

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hello all, and welcome to week 20!

Apologies for the late posting of this week's topic, I was, umm, indisposed last night - believe me you do not need any more details than that - let's leave it at "stomach bug."

Late or early....that got me thinking. Are you one of those people who likes to be on time (or even early) for appointments, or one of those people who likes to be "fashionably late?" Early bird or fashionably late...pick one, write song....

As always, good luck with your writing...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Well, Vic, this is quite appropriate timing :lol:

We are heading out of town for at least 4 or 5 days because of smoke problems in our area.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/03/18/thousands-ordered-evacuate-toxic-smoke-spreads-east-bangkok

The school I teach at and live next door to just cancelled classes for the rest of the week, so we will be leaving for some cleaner air. :)

....so I'm not sure about Internet access, but I'll have to settle for being "fashionably late" :wink:

-James

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

James, stay safe and healthy. You definitely have my sympathy. In 2011 we were evacuated 3 times due to wildfires near our house. The uncertainty and lack of control is very stressful. Oddly, that incident got me back into songwriting after many years. I'm expecting a future song from you about toxic fumes.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Well, Vic, this is quite appropriate timing :lol:

We are heading out of town for at least 4 or 5 days because of smoke problems in our area.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/03/18/thousands-ordered-evacuate-toxic-smoke-spreads-east-bangkok

The school I teach at and live next door to just cancelled classes for the rest of the week, so we will be leaving for some cleaner air. :)

-James

Sounds nasty James, I hope you're well clear now and enjoying some fresh air. Smoke, especially toxic smoke can be as dangerous as the actual fire.

We had something similar to yours and Hobson's experience here a couple of months ago. A bushfire set off by a fallen electricity pole on a day that was 43degC. I'm in the local fire brigade and we did a quick turnout, but it initially spread too fast for us to stop. More equipment kept arriving but not as fast as the fire was moving. Bushfire in the HillsThe final count was close to sixty houses lost. It came within a couple of hundred metres of our house, but we have our own good fire defences so would have stopped it here OK. We were still doing patrols and putting out occasional hotspots for six weeks or more after the main fire. I hope that they get your local fire under control swiftly and that you can return home soon. Nasty things garbage fires.

Good to see you still writing good songs. Like Renee, I'll also be looking forward to your song about this incident!

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Update:

We are back in town. The air is better today. I expect the school will be open tomorrow.

Looks like the fire is almost out and hopefully the air will be clearing soon
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/national/Firemen-close-to-extinguishing-Samut-Prakan-dump-f-30229844.html
In 2011 we were evacuated 3 times due to wildfires near our house. The uncertainty and lack of control is very stressful.

Wow! Stressful indeed :shock:
Oddly, that incident got me back into songwriting after many years.

That's a positive effect :wink:
I'm expecting a future song from you about toxic fumes.

:lol: Maybe, but it would more likely be about a family beach trip b/c that was more our experience while out of town.
Good to see you still writing good songs. Like Renee, I'll also be looking forward to your song about this incident!

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing about your experience. Sounds like you have enough experience/info for a "hot" song there. :wink:

ReplyQuote