Clear all

Y12,W13 - Dark Things To Do

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just remembered about this group. I had not participated in this part of the forum before as I was not writing songs until recently. soooo, I happened to bring it up and look at the current assignment and got lucky enough to see that not only was it something I have already written, I had also already recorded it. Here's the link to the song. Please pardon my singing - it's awful. It's all I got, and it was far worse.

Anyhow, the main character is a really bad guy. an imaginary character after watching too many movies.

https://soundcloud.com/patriotsbiker/dark-things-to-do

I am still rather new at all this. I think in hind-site that I want to make it more dynamic. But, this will do for now.

I hope I didn't break any sort of etiquette. Most of you know me from previous years and other forum sections. I certainly don't intend to offend. :D

And the lyrics:
[INTRO]
Stood still by a valley of fire,
I saw the faces of the loved ones I had known.
Only one man I know could put them in this place!
I screamed out to the man, I asked him "what was he doing",
and "why did he put them here on this day?"

The old man appeared and stood beside me,
said "son you should know this by now!"
he said, "Contract time is upon us, my only friend."
"I know you've never said 'no'"
"It's just much more fun getting you to sign them this way."

[VERSE]
I'll be home sometime, babe, I don't know when.
I do my job and ride home again.

Some guy really pissed the boss off today,
he's gotten mad, and in an ugly way.
He sent me to collect today.

[VERSE]
I've worked for him ever since my blood hit that line.
I collect bad debts (and) make them pay a fine.

You might say I enjoy it,
I don't regret the deal I signed that day.
I get to do some real dark things today.

[CHORUS]
I ride in the shadows, but I don't avoid anyone.
I use this big blood-stained axe, just for fun.

You know when I'm in town,
and you know when I was the one,
when some real dark things have been done,
when some real dark things have been done.

[VERSE]
You can run and hide all you want.
I'll terrorize you and I love to haunt.

I'll keep you alive long enough,
for the screams to hurt your mama's ears.
Then I'll do some real dark things to her.

[VERSE]
Unworldly games, end in an unworldly ways.
You roll the dice wrong,
you'll have your dues to pay.

Don't look at me cross-eyed,
or I'll get real mad before I'm through.
I love the real dark things I do.

[CHORUS]
I ride in the shadows, but I'm not afraid of anyone.
I use this blood-stained axe, mostly just for fun.

You know when I'm around,
and you know when I was the one.
when some real dark things have been done.
when some real dark shit's been done.

[OUTRO]
I don't care whatchu call me,
and I don't care what you say or do!
I've got some real dark things to do.
I've got some real dark things to do.

Um, enjoy? :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Roy,

Nice mood setting and slide guitar playing on the mp3 :D You've got a nice rich bass voice!

Suggestion: Consider streamlining the lyrics to fit one singee (who the singer is singing to)....right now the lyrics are lengthy b/c the singer is addressing his boss, woman, "victim", and general unknown listener.

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi James. Thanks for looking.

That sounds like good advice, re the target that shifts. I thought the intro section and the rest of the song were different enough to separate the boss "scene" and the rest of it, but had no idea, until now, to make the subsequent rest of the song more focused or targeted. It makes a lot of sense.

Again, thanks for the tip. so cool. 8) 8)

Oh, and the bass singing voice....it used to be deeper, darker with more of a sharp edge. Aside from an early Johnny cash cover, nothing ever felt or sounded right. Holding a pitch was something I could only do to keep base-runners on if I pitched. I found my current singing voice this back November quite by accident, made a couple of adjustments and went back to the songs I made earlier in the year and re-sang. This was one of them.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Roy, welcome...at long last!...to the SSG!

Thing the first...do NOT feel you ever have to apologise for your voice. It's deep and rich, and fits the song perfectly. Glad you finally found it!

Thing the second....LOVE the slide guitar! Had me hooked from the first note.

And the triple whammy? I've a feeling that deep, dark voice may be perfectly suited to this week's assignment...so get writing. That's an order!

Great to hear this one, look forward to more....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic, thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I kind of got into song writing this past year. Something I never thought would happen. My first attempt in 2012 was quite miserable. Things change, though. The muse found me and has paid quite a few visits. I've recorded 13 of them, IIRC, with another 2-3 nearing completion.

Anyhow, I did see the instructions for this week's assignment and am currently trying to decide which of a few directions I want to take it.

Roy

ReplyQuote