De’ gods awake
For de’ two of us

De’ weather’s rough so buckle up
A stewardess smiles
For de’ two of us

A lightning flash; de’ plane will crash
This is de’ end
For de’ two of us

And when they ask how many died when de’ plane went down?
De’ news will answer
42 of us

(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

That's a long road to travel for the payoff. It reminded me how much I hates Jar=Jar in the Star Wars movies.
Not one of my favorites. The assignments here have been getting sillier and at least you are stretching to accommodate them.
It kind of reminds me of the songs James Gordon wrote for the radio show "Basic Black".

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That's a long road to travel for the payoff.

A long road indeed ;)
It reminded me how much I hates Jar=Jar in the Star Wars movies.
:lol: LOL :lol:
.... at least you are stretching to accommodate them.
Definitely trying :D
Not one of my favorites.
No worries. I still do appreciate the listen and post; especially since it's not one of your favorites.

Thanks.

James

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hello James

And thank you for the smile. The music was so light and enchanting that I wasn't ready for the final verse. I guess I was hoping for more of a "Raising Arizona" ending, with possibly forty-two family members (sons, daughters, spouses, and grandchildren) children sitting around the table, but this certainly works, too.

And thank you as well for coming up with something I wasn't expecting. I suspect that many may find this assignment a bit weird, but it's amazing how often this number pops up, not only in pop-culture, but just in general. One could have a field day just with the references from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland books, or visit Fox Mulder's apartment, discuss Jackie Robinson, ponder Elvis (the anniversary of his death (at forty-two) is this week - never hurts to get a good musical aspect to any topic), or even wonder about how Romeo and Juliet could have ended so differently if Friar Lawrence's potion had worn off in forty-one hours instead of forty-two.

By the bye, do you have a ukulele? That might go very well as accompaniment as well. Or even steel drums, which I suspect you must have a digital sampling of somewhere in your musical storeroom.

Looking forward to more.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The music was so light and enchanting that I wasn't ready for the final verse.
I surprised myself a bit, too. I found I was getting attached to the enthusiasm of the singer's over-the-top romantic gestures....but that's life :roll:
By the bye, do you have a ukulele? That might go very well as accompaniment as well. Or even steel drums, which I suspect you must have a digital sampling of somewhere in your musical storeroom.

Both are good suggestions. I'm a bit tight on time with the school year starting again, but I'll see how things work out.

Thanks again for the listen, post, and challenge. :wink:

James

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

I'm hoping that you don't do it with ukulele. I really think the lyric is full of racial stereotypical dialog that may have been acceptable to Mark Twain ' s readers and Steppin' Fetchit ' audience.
The uke is finally come out of the Tiny Tim affect and doesn't need a new mill stone.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The uke is finally come out of the Tiny Tim affect and doesn't need a new mill stone.
:lol: ...then looks like the scapegoat/weapon of choice is the :note1: steel drums :note1:

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

Well done! Thanks, James.

Neil

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Neil :D

-James

ReplyQuote