No special occasion flowers
No conversation for hours
No romantic walks in the moonlight
You don’t even bother to fight

It happens when you’re not looking
You fall, you fall, you fall, fall, fall, fall
Out of love

(@davidhodge)

Very nice. I love how the last line, "You don't even bother to fight," sums up the entire mood of the song, perhaps even more than the chorus.

It might benefit from a "double-first verse," meaning two verses before the chorus. My main reasoning behind this thought is that the current second verse starts out with "those little quirks" without a clue to what they might be. Sure everyone has his or her share, but it just seems that having a sense of "before" - the happy-fall-goofily-in-love phase - might set up the rest of the song a bit better. Maybe not, though. After all, it's easy enough to follow and fill in the pieces.

Musically, I was surprised at the perky do-wop-ish chords, but I think it works very well. Still trying to decide about the ritardandos at the end of each chorus. I understand that they give a striking dynamic to a song that's been moving along quite smoothly. But I can't help wonder is the slowing down is as effective as a full-stop (while keeping the tempo at a steady pace - maybe hitting the first beat of the measure and resting for seven) might be. Then maybe use the ritardando for the final pass through the chorus.

Regardless, a thoroughly enjoyable song, sir! Looking forward to more.

And my best wishes to you, as well as your family and friends, for a terrific 2015.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi David,

Thanks for listen and feedback.
But I can't help wonder is the slowing down is as effective as a full-stop (while keeping the tempo at a steady pace - maybe hitting the first beat of the measure and resting for seven) might be.

That could work well. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not going to fix it in this recording because I'd have to start over. I did try to tweak it, but it was getting a mess.
And my best wishes to you, as well as your family and friends, for a terrific 2015.

Thanks, David. Blessings to you and yours as well. :D

James

ReplyQuote