But they are back in focus
Today this is a flat on the fifth floor

and finally you are waiting no more

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member

I like this piece. It sounds like like it would be a good dreamy, airy, sort of piece in the style of The Weakerthans, Cat Power or Tegan and Sara. With the right voice and instrumentation (big theremin possibilities I see), these lyrics could take off.

If only you could change up up "disillusionment" to something with few syllables, it will flow more smoothly in the final verse.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Terrific! When I first read it through only about 10% - 20% of it came across, and I had very little idea of what was going on. Second or or third time through and - zing! - I 'got it' - and it all fell into place and came to life. :) I even picked up the guitar and sang it through, over some rather haunting and somewhat mournful minor chords.

This would be interesting to write music for as it's not entirely downbeat and has some upbeat elements too. It would be a real challenge to get that balance between hope and despair, dreams and reality, the tension between aiming for contentment but often reaching too high or swinging too low. Because of the title, I was hearing some piano in this too, so maybe it could be done with two instruments - keyboard and guitar - with one taking a more optimisitic line, and the other the sadder side?? As DR said, theremin could be good too. Wish I was better at playing, I'd give it a go. Maybe in a year or two... :wink: I particularly liked the last verse, and the way I was singing it 'disillusionment' was fine, and it did seem a crucial part of the image and hard to replace. Great job. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I had to read through this a couple or so times, too - kept wondering where it was leading, but the last verse pulled it all together nicely.....

Hmmm - I've got some spare chords floating around that might just suit this....I'll dash off a quick demo in the morning for you, Straycat, see what you think.....didn't work out too badly on "Chords of Doubt"......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hey

just found out what a theremin is :D
i stumbled about "disillusionment", too.. and tried to replace it with "failure" or so.. that sounded nice but didn't quite mean what i wanted it to mean... ( glad chris reassured me of this :lol: )

chris, you can still give it a go, if you like:-) i mean, you're definitely better than i am at playing. your keyboard idea sounds great. i took out my old children's keyboard and fooled around a bit.. could lead to something :o

vic, i am so glad you're gonna try something with this. you know, i like your guitar skills :D
(by the way i just sent you a mail... have a look)
.. maybe your great guitar playing plus my foolish keyboard idea.... :wink:

thank you, everyone.
that's motivation.
cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote