Clear all

Y6W47 - Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la + MP3

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

EDIT....MP3 in the usual place - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=225059 - just click on Sha-la-la-la-la. Very rough 1st take - honest, this is a first take - I was watching football this afternoon, had a few drinks and I'm still not 100% sober...in fact, I'm a LOOOOOONG way from sober, Everton 0, Liverpool 2 has that effect on me - but I promise, I did try my best, with the few remaining brain cells available. I'll do better when the celebratory drinks have worn off - but hey, for now, I think I did pretty well just to get he music and lyrics ALMOST together......end EDIT.

Hey, a couple of my favourite groups, way back in the 60's when I was just a kid, were Manfred Mann and the Small Faces - think of this song as a cross between Sha-la-la (MM) and Sha-la-la-la-lee (SF.) I still love those bands, BTW - you never forget your first loves. Specially music-wise....

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la

I was walkin' along, just a-humming a simple song,
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la,
When I saw her on the other side of the street, yeah,
And I thought to myself, "I must be strong,"
We have to accidentally meet, yeah,

Sha-la-la, sha-la-la-la,
Sha-la-la-la, la-la-la.

She looked so good and she moved so fine,
She lit a cigarette and I took my cue,
Asked her for a light, yeah, a corny line,
She smiled at me and I just knew....

We got talking as we walked along,
She never noticed I'd turned around,
I was walking the other way,
Like I was lost but now I'm found,
I asked her would she come with me,
To a dance the following night,
To my eternal surprise she agreed,
We've been together ever since, and it's all right...

Now she's wearing my ring and she's my girl,
We're together every single day,
She's my everything, my entire world,
I'll be beside her all the way,
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la.

Sha-la-la, sha-la-la-la,
Sha-la-la-la, la-la-la.
Sha-la-la, sha-la-la-la,
Sha-la-la-la, la-la-la.
Sha-la-la, sha-la-la-la,
Sha-la-la-la, la-la-la.

I've half-got the music to this - hopefully, I'll have an MP3 together by tomorrow night.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Vic,

I think youve captured that genre that were after pretty well here. I was thinking "do wah ditty ditty dum ditty do" at certian parts of that song. I havent heard it yet but will have a listen when I get home.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Hey Vic,

This definitely captures the era you were trying for. Nice work.

Only one line jumped out at me as slightly off, but I've heard the phrase before in an SSG song. It was the "I gotta be strong" line. I've never really heard that phrase used except in adverse circumstances like, "Alice, I know you miss Jim, but you've gotta be strong for the kids." Maybe this is one of those cross-cultural things.

I was humming the song to myself this afternoon, and my brain kept inserting lyrics into the "Sha-la-la-la, la-la-la" parts, and I was thinking that if you were to perform this often then that would be a lot sha-la-la's, so for what it's worth, I was thinking of the following as a drop-in replacement for the "Sha-la-la" part between:
She smiled at me and I just knew....
and
We got talking as we walked along,

Sha-la, you wanna come my way?
Sha-la-la, what do you say?

Anyway... I really liked the verse about lighting the cigarette. It really grounds the story in my mind, you know, makes the people and the street more real for me.

You've got a nice, catchy tune here.

Rob

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Only one line jumped out at me as slightly off, but I've heard the phrase before in an SSG song. It was the "I gotta be strong" line. I've never really heard that phrase used except in adverse circumstances like, "Alice, I know you miss Jim, but you've gotta be strong for the kids." Maybe this is one of those cross-cultural things.

I don't think it's a trans-atlantic cross-cultural thing - possibly a slight misuse on my part. What I was aiming for was... well, imagine the scene - young man, very nervous, sees cool sophisticated young woman passing by, so he's mentally pumping himself up, telling himself not to be a wimp, be strong, GO FOR IT! I know exactly what you mean - it's a phrase that's usually used in adverse circumstances, rather than the way I've used it.

The original line I had there was, "And I thought to myself, we could get along".....does that work any better?

Anyway, thank you both for the kind words! Listening to it myself tonight, it's definitely more Manfred Mann than Small Faces - I'd KILL for Marriott's voice! - but I'm fairly pleased with the way it's worked out. For something that was written in the wee small hours of Friday Morning, and recorded Saturday evening IN ONE TAKE having had a skinful of lager while watching football and still feeling a bit wobbly....!!!

It's not the finished product yet - still open for changes - but that's the one drawback of the SSG, if you want to get an MP3 out the same week as the topic's posted, it's always going to be a bit of a rush job. Then again, I like the pressure of working to a deadline - seems to bring out that competitive instinct!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

How 'bout "I thought to myself, come on, come on..."

Just a thought.

Cool song, Vic. Sorry I've not had the chance to chime in, yet.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

or "I thought she could be the one"

and maybe changing
"To my eternal surprise she agreed,"
to
"To my surprise she quickly agreed,"

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Vic,
I enjoyed the mp3. I prefer the "Ive gotta be strong" phrase to "I must be strong," in fact you could even go with "I'm gonna be strong" which is more of a resolution in his own mind to act.

cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hey Mr Lewis

Not much for me to add , I enjoyed listening to your singing and playing once again ...

Just echoing what Paul said about "Ive gotta be strong" phrase to "I must be strong," ....

I thought how I would say that in everyday speech and Paul hit the nail on the head , I would say " "I'm gonna be strong"

Any way , enjoyed you work

Trev...

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote