Clear all

Y7W44 - Laurel and Sage

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@stikman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Lot's of incoherent ideas bouncing around but nothing really solidifying. Finally came up with this last night but I am having a hard time deciding what it is about or what to say.

-----------------------------------------------------
Laurel and Sage

Time doesn't help me remember you

Yesterday I was twenty
I led you through my door
Today I turned forty five
I can't smell your scent anymore

The days pass by slowly
From east to west
It's passage is holy
A never ending quest

Your gone

Photographs on the mantle
Hardly look at them anymore
Faded reminders of a distant past
Silly snow fights broken panes of glass

It won't be long until I join you
Our memories will renew
When my body is laid down
Beneath the laurel and sage

Your gone
-------------------------------------------------

This is an extra verse that I had floating around. Could be a bridge or verse.

The future never gets here
The past is always gone
I'm living in the moment dear
Where there's no time at all

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi Stickman,
I am having a hard time deciding what it is about or what to say.
I know what you mean, at some point in the creative process you have to make a decision as to which way you're going to take a song. For this song if it was me I would work on the concept that although “Time is a great healer”, in this case our subject doesn't feel that's true. There's lots of good stuff in here, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Ernie,

Some interesting images :D I sense the singer is wanting to remember someone they have lost in the past and as time does heal and helps one forget the pain, the singer seems to want to hold on to the pain because it helps them remember the person and thereby remember the "golden days" together....so the singer could be one that refuses to let go...even if it is healthier to do so. Or be angry at the cliche time heals wounds and say, "I don't want to be healed"....It reminds me of someone who shared a story during a meeting and every year since this guy's father died, he did something special like write a letter to his father about the past year as a memorial of sorts to his father.....he couldn't believe that the special date had passed a couple weeks before and he forgot all about the "ritual"....he was really upset with himself.....

......well maybe there is something in the rambling there to give you a spark. :roll: .....you're much further along than me for the week. :wink:

James

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes James that is along the lines of it. Thank you for helping to clarify it for me.

I actually like the chords and melody I came up with for it. Maybe I can get a recording by the weekend.

Ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Time doesnt help me remember you! NICE, I really like that, its a hook, but not a cliche-y hook. Good Job, now just take it where you wanna take it :D.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote