Clear all

Y9 W15 - The Idiot Box.

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Umm, I could explain the inspiration for this song, but I'm hoping I don't have to.....

The Idiot Box.

Well the rain's passed by, so's the sunny blue sky,
Just another grey day, in Double-U-A, (*)
Didn't see the forecast, anyway the weather's passed,
Don't care anyway, about the weather today,
If it's black or blue, I don't have a clue,
Doesn't bother me, I'm glued to the TV.

Well my horoscope, says I just won't cope,
With the changes today, that're coming my way,
It's crossed my mind, that life's unkind,
But I just don't care, 'cos I'm going nowhere,
I'll just stay in my room, locked away in the gloom,
With no company, but my TV.

I'm sick and tired of the same old scene,
Just the same old garbage on the TV screen,
I've got to get out before my life's sucked dry,
By Oprah, and Springer, and Jeremy Kyle.....

I made the change today, hid the remote away,
And hid the spare treble-A's somewhere,
The wife won't find, less she looks behind,
The flower bed, behind the shed,
I've took the fuses out of everything she uses,
Now she might see me, instead of the TV!

*Note - Double-U-A is my local postcode (guess the American Equivalent is Zip Code?)

I failed miserably with last week's assignment - got couple of lines about St Leo riding into town with a new axe, but I really couldn't sustain the metaphor and there was a lot going on at home which meant I really didn't have much spare time to write. Or comment. So hopefully, this week's effort will keep my writing streak going - I did manage to write another song last week, but it was WAAAY different to anything I've ever written before or probably will again, but it's up near the top of my "to my record" list! That's a teaser.....or a trailer, if you like, but I do still need some recording equipment - obviously, I've been a bit distracted lately.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hey Vic,

Looks like your taking a lot of creative license on this one- We're supposed to use weather in the title and not talk about it in the song; or make it the main focus.....but you haven't made it the main focus :roll:

You've got some good lines going that tell the singer's frame of mind.

Suggestion:
Consider sticking with one point of view. V1 & 2 the singer loves the TV as a means of "reality escape" V3 & 4 the singer hates the thing.....no transition from 2 to 3 just a 180 degree change....unless you're planning to use the music to signal the change, it's pretty abrupt.

V1 seems like it's not pulling its weight; a bit too much talk about the weather; maybe more details as to how he got to his current state would peak the listeners interest.

Maybe a weather to TV tie-in could be something like "Til there's snow on the tube" ie when the person falls asleep and the tv is only showing the static "snow" image.....but maybe that doesn't happen anymore with 24 hr cable.....actually, I don't like my suggestion so much but maybe it will spur some other connection for you :wink:

Glad to see you're writing and posting :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Consider sticking with one point of view. V1 & 2 the singer loves the TV as a means of "reality escape" V3 & 4 the singer hates the thing.....no transition from 2 to 3 just a 180 degree change....unless you're planning to use the music to signal the change, it's pretty abrupt.

Good suggestion, and thanks for pointing that out. I was so busy trying to keep the rhyming scheme going I got a bit carried away....yes, you're quite right JT, I'll work on it. It's meant to be about Marilyn's obsession with watching garbage all day and night - she'll watch literally anything - but the first two verses sound as if they're about me rather than her. I'll work on it, see what I can come up with. Musically, I'm thinking along the same lines as Subterranean Homesick Blues.....while I was writing, I had a 12-bar blues rhythm in my head, but I'm thinking it needs to be rather faster than a 12-bar, and more of an acoustic guitar song.

Thanks again for suggestions!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote