6 Users
0 Likes
(@wilhelmina)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Y9W23 Dragon Guitar
Topic: Do-list item: practice guitar.

My new guitar is a dragon.
It tosses and snorts and screeches and wails.
I'm having a hell of a time to tame it.
It's covered in tough E-Phrygian scales.

Chorus:
I wanna fly, I wanna fly
I wanna circle and soar
and dive and dip.

I wanna leap on the back
of my dragon guitar
and take a
heart-stopping trip.

One of these days my fingers
are gonna find the right strings.
One of these days my guitar and me
are gonna sprout some powerful wings.

Chorus:
I'm gonna fly, I'm gonna fly
I'm gonna circle and roar
and circle higher.

I'm gonna bend
this dragon guitar to my will
and we'll both
be breathing fire.

I'm going up where clouds sail by.
I won't stay anchored to the ground.
I'll ride on the back of my shiny black steed
and take a good look around.

Chorus:
I gonna fly, I gonna fly
I gonna circle and soar
and dive and dip.

I gonna leap on the back
of my dragon guitar
and take a
heart-stopping trip.

Yes, leap on the back
of my dragon guitar
and take a
heart-stopping trip.

Note:
A while back, when I was trying to weasel out of putting tunes to my words by saying I couldn't play my guitar yet (true), Jamestoffee told me I should just sing into the computer. So... I went to Radio Shack and bought a little mike to hook on an ear, and I've downloaded a freeware recording program from audacity.com (a breeze to download) that I can work simply by punching 'stop' and 'go', and I've signed into soundclick (aargh, I have tangles to unsnarl there yet!).

So here I am (shudder), in the limelight! But, what the heck, it's all just for fun, isn't it? Here's a link. No guarantees. Things could be garbled yet.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10499274

I am DEFINITELY not interested in working out accompaniments. I do all my singing in the shower and the water would warp my pretty guitar. - Wilhelmina

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Awesome on all counts. :D

Nothing really matches the human voice, and you did a lovely job of your song. Much kudos for taking the plunge. I really enjoyed the imagery in the lyrics too. Don't be in too much of a rush to get good on the guitar - you have to leave us one small area where we're still a little in front of you. :wink:

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Wow Wilhelmina! :mrgreen:

Excellent singing! That was a real treat to listen to!

Great job on imagery and keeping the melody "hooky" or catchy with the repetition. :D

My favorite line is "It's covered in tough E-Phrygian scales."....love the play on words :wink:

Suggestion:

Consider replacing "stead" because you also mention riding the dragon, so stead takes away from the focus

I'll ride on the back of my shiny black stead

in conflict with

I gonna leap on the back
of my dragon guitar

....with your gift for word play, I'm sure you're up to the challenge :wink:

Thanks for sharing....that was great! :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

I can't tell you the difference it makes when you put music and voice to words. It a new demension of understanding. And you do it so well. And I agree with James that "It's covered in tough E-Phrygian scales.".... it's a great rhyme! Do continue to grace us with you voice and music!

Neil

ReplyQuote
(@melody)
Eminent Member

You have such a gift for words Wilhelmina! Good for you for putting some vocals to this one, it makes such a difference to hear the melody with the lyric. Nice job! :) If you think playing the guitar is tough, well, singing a song a cappella is not at all easy either!! But, if a song works with voice only, you know you really have something and just imagine what it will be once you get that dragon there with you. :D

I'm learning guitar too, but have been at it quite awhile longer than you (about 3 years). It is do-able!! Keep at it, that dragon will soon turn into one your best friends. Every new thing seems difficult, but then you look back in a week, a month, or a year, and wonder how it was you found that particular thing so difficult to do.

Somebody mentioned the 'stead' bit, and I agree, it kind of veers off what you had going there. Other than that, I loved the determination and positivity you brought forth in the lyric.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I assumed that "stead" was a typo for "steed" which means a either a horse or other animal that is ridden. It crops up in tales of horse mounted warfare, knights in armour, and so on but it's often also used it a playful way. I've seen phrases like "my trusty steed" used to refer to anything from a horse or donkey through to a bicycle or even getting a piggy-back ride from Dad. I've certainly seen it used in fantasy tales that involve dragon riders, so it didn't seem out of place to me - I just assumed it was a black guitar/dragon.

However, that might not be what was intended here? And I guess if most listeners don't get a reference, even if it was 'correct' in the eyes of the author, then there might be grounds for altering it a bit? I wonder how Wilhelmina saw it?

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@wilhelmina)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Here's me, banging my forehead against the table. Steed, yes, steed! My fire-breathing dragon-guitar steed! Sorry about that. What a difference a letter makes. Must pay attention to the details! Love you All, you are so kind. Wilhelmina

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

WOW!

That was wonderful. Kind of reminds me of Pete Seeger

Good Job

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote